Day in the life: Ezra Pine

Ezra Pine and his house mates. From left to right: Ezra Pine ’21; Nate Lu ’21; Jonathan Gottlieb ’22; Justin Williams ’21; Riley Guieb ’21; Will Richman ’22; Daniel Lubelfeld ’21; Jack Gillespie ’23; Ryan Moeller ’21; Lucas Hadding ’23

9:00 a.m. Wake up to “Viva La Vida” by Coldplay, and immediately start scrolling through Twitter.

9:15 a.m. Fight with Ryan Moeller `21 over who gets to use the bathroom first. He usually wins, which means my morning routine gets thrown out of whack!

9:45 a.m. Toast a bagel with cream cheese. Go back on Twitter, get really pissed off and think about stuff I’m going to complain about and grill people on the rest of the day.

9:55 a.m. Grab a protein bar and banana for the road. Watch Nate Lu `21 and Moeller give each other good morning kisses and head to my coaching methods class with Coach Hollibaugh in the Bear.

10:00 a.m.  Show up fashionably late to class, stroll to the back of the room. Respond to emails, apply to jobs, and read news articles on my computer while tuning in and out of class (please don’t tell Hollibaugh I do this). Chime in with a semi-intelligent comment every now and then.

11:30 a.m. Come back to a house full of guys doing things and stuff. Sink myself into the living room couch and fall half-asleep for the next 30 minutes. And scroll through Twitter, of course (I’m an addict).

12:00 p.m. Do my best to get a healthy lunch in, though I kind of suck at this lol. Usually end up making a sandwich with chips and a fruit snack. #collegelyfe

12:30 p.m. Squeeze in a round of Wii Golf with Danny Lubes `21 (called Lubes, but actually named Lubelfeld) before our journalism class. Talk lots of shit to each other about our fantasy teams or about how much better the Cubs are than the White Sox.

1:00 p.m. Show up early to journalism class with Lube, and talk with Leigh Kunkel `09 (our professor) while competing to see who can become her favorite student. Leigh has brought in various guest speakers from The New York Times which has been such a cool experience. It’s an awesome class, and Lube and I try (but usually fail) to entertain the class with our sports journalism ideas.

3:00 p.m. Walk back from class and eat a big snack. Yes, I’m tired and hungry after class.

4:00 p.m. Go to the Bear to do some pre-practice training. I’m a pitcher, and there’s lots of pitcher-specific drills that are a lot easier to do outside of practice. It involves medicine balls, weighted throwing balls and free-weight exercises that help train certain muscles. This normally turns out to be my time of peace and zen!

5:00 p.m. Baseball practice. I throw every day and get some sort of conditioning in to help stay in good shape. I always bring a frisbee for conditioning and proceed to tell everyone about how frisbee is my primary sport. My teammates are probably very sick of it, but I’ve earned some degree of frisbee legend status among baseballers. Seven years of playing frisbee at summer camp finally paying off!

6:30 p.m. Go home and shower, then eat a quick snack.

7:00 p.m. Attend political organizing training online. I’m in a pretty dope program that trains people on how to win progressive political power. It’s a low time commitment, and I’m learning key skills on how to effectively organize for people-powered issues and campaigns. Organizing for progressive causes is a passion I learned to fully embrace during quarantine, and I’m looking to turn this passion into a career post-graduation! #grindneverstops

9:00 p.m. Things starting to get weird at 1015 High Street. Come out of my room only to hear housemates getting rowdy playing videogames, die, mafia, etc. Loud monkey noises can be heard on occasion (@Riley Guieb `21 and Nate).

9:15 p.m. Eat dinner in front of the T.V. Thankful for the homies who chef up meals. Shoutout Moeller – best cook hands down and makes a mean chicken parm.

9:30 p.m. Chill time. Activities involve watching sports, climbing trees, grinding Wii Golf and/or philanthropy. Quarantine truly brings out the creativity in all of us.

11:00 p.m. Make sure all the homies get goodnight kisses!