Letter to the Editor: The Vanishing of Printed Student Media?

Contributed by Jay Dick
Jay Dick `93 works as Sr. Director of Advocacy and Partnerships at Americans for the Arts.

I write with my concern about the potential that student print media at Grinnell College might vanish. 

As an alum, donor and volunteer for the College, it saddens me that the College might consider this action given the overall attack on journalism around the world. I know that these publications will continue online, but the loss of the print versions would bring about a new set of problems including access and exposure.   

For over two decades, I have worked for Americans for the Arts where I currently lead their government affairs department. I know the power and value of the printed word. It can inspire, it can challenge, it can comfort.   

One thing I have discovered during my career at Americans for the Arts is that people often do not value or realize what the arts do for them until they are gone. They take the arts for granted.  They don’t realize the value they bring to people or to a community. If the print versions of the student publications are eliminated, I fear the same will happen on campus. Something tangible will be lost. The connection that these print publications bring will be severed. The value of these publications will be diminished. The ability for the campus community to regularly convey information broadly will be limited. Even letters like this will lose their impact as less people will see them if people have to search them out electronically instead of them being provided in an easy to access printed version. Lastly, people, no matter their age or electronic literacy, consume information in different ways and to eliminate the print version will likely prohibit a sub-section of the campus community from consuming news.

One thing I have discovered during my career at Americans for the Arts is that people often do not value or realize what the arts do for them until they are gone. They take the arts for granted.

— Jay Dick `93

With regard to the other student publications which often have photos of original artwork, such as Grinnell Underground Magazine (GUM), Grinnell Press, Grinnell Review and GOGUE, I will note that these publications are often best consumed in print, not online.  It is like watching a Star Wars movie on your iPhone.  You can do it, but it doesn’t convey the same context that doing so in the theatre or on a larger screen.   

I would ask myself, would the college consider eliminating the Grinnell Magazine that alumni receive to save costs? I doubt so as in order to get alumni to see the articles, it has to appear in our mailboxes. Yes, you could send me an email with the link, but the likelihood of me clicking on it dramatically decreases. The same argument holds true with the campus community, even with individuals who often consume news electronically. I would guess that the print versions of The S&B and the other publications are consumed almost immediately upon distribution. These “old fashioned” newspapers still play a vital role on campus to unite, educate and bring people together.   

I will also let you in on a little secret. Over 30 years later, I have multiple copies of The S&B and other student publications from my years on campus as they represent something important to me, something that would be lost if the publication was only electronic. 

For example, I have multiple S&B newspapers on the murder of my classmate Tammy Zywicki.  It is a tangible reminder of a traumatic experience — one that I value and never wish to forget.  These physical copies of The S&B are a reminder for me of a shared experience that I never wish to give up.

These “old fashioned” newspapers still play a vital role on campus to unite, educate and bring people together.

— Jay Dick `93

Please, Grinnell College, keep these printed publications as they still have a valuable and necessary place on campus, and they will serve as a lasting reminder of one’s time as a student. 

Respectfully, 

Jay H. Dick `93 

Sr. Director of Advocacy and Partnerships 

Government Affairs Department 

Americans for the Arts