Day in the Life: NSO Intern Tulah Fuchs ’19

7:35 a.m. — Slap on some makeup to cover my NSO Eye Bags (copyrighted by me)

7:54 a.m. — Grab a hard boiled egg from my fridge that I make in weekly batches because #protein

7:57 a.m.— Almost fall off my bike while trying to balance my NSO binder and bike lock in each hand. Good thing I always wear a helmet because I am paranoid of concussions

8:01 a.m. — See that the D-Hall also made hard boiled eggs, take one of their eggs to compare to my own. There was a clear winner, but don’t make me spell it out

9:15 a.m. — Debrief in JRC with my incredible NSO staff, [rummelha], [littlema], [prestonj], [brindelr], [goekceb], [mehltret] and [hercehag1], to talk about the highlights/lowlights from previous day, compliment myself on a job well done for surviving another day

10:05 a.m. — Go golf carting around campus to see if any first-years are wandering around campus to find their tutorial classrooms

10:13 a.m. — Don’t see that many lost first-years, am impressed that most first-years have their shit together and arrived to their tutorials on time

10:24 am — Lack of first-years needing rides causes me to offer rides of ridiculously short distances to my friends because why not

11:45 a.m. — Am shocked by how short the stir-fry line is, conclude that the first-years haven’t caught on to it yet. Gorge myself

1:14 p.m. — Fight off a nap realllllly hard, too bad I don’t drink coffee

1:31 p.m. — Respond to some emails in the NSO account, ranging from singing my praises to passive and demanding

1:46 p.m. — Continue to fight the nap by adding things to my to-do list that I write on various post-it notes or my Google Calendar that is basically an extension of myself. Organization is key for NSO

3:15 p.m. — Try to find some free time to get my own life in order to order textbooks and schedule CLS appointments for my looming post-grad life

4:54 p.m. — Go to my bosses’ office in Student Affairs to grab some supplies for the evening, end up ranting about the last minute Grinnell website change that confused all ! of ! us!

6:01 p.m. — Am slightly overwhelmed by all the new faces in the dining hall, but am consoled by some ravioli and a cupcake

6:56 p.m.: Golf cart across Mac field recklessly to make sure the Community Value session is ready to go

7:01 p.m. — Promptly leave the community value session upon seeing that everything is under control, and feel blessed that I can take a little nap in the Laurel Leaf Lounge (first- years don’t @ me, I went to all of the CV sessions my first year!)

9:42 p.m. — Check on the various NSO social events happening, see that my staff has everything under control, of course, love them

9:56 p.m. — Decide to be helpful and try to push some Capri-Suns on first-years to go through our stock

10:07 p.m. — Stick around at SGA pub quiz and shamelessly get 2nd place with the team name “How Many Dads Yelled at Tulah Today” (regardless of our score, it was too many!!)

11:30 p.m. — Think about going to a party and offer Ritz crackers to any first-years I see, mostly to justify myself going to these parties, but also for harm reduction purposes (#GrinWell)

11:57 p.m.— Decide to stay home and eat a whole sleeve of Ritz crackers by myself in bed before falling asleep with a bunch of scattered crumbs #oops #NSO

Tulah Fuchs ’19 patrolling JRC for confused first-years with posters and megaphone in hand.
Photo by Keli Vitaioli