How to vote from now to November 3

A volunteer assists a Grinnell student through the voting process in the Community Center on Election Day 2014. Photo by Leina’ala Voss.

By Ivy Schuster

We are weeks away from the most important election in a generation. You have been reading my thoughts on the environment, education and health care for the last few months, but today I will make my argument that you should vote in one sentence and spend the rest of this op-ed informing you how to do so. My argument: this is your opportunity to decide who leads us and to define the priorities and character of our state and our country, and it is not only your right to make that decision but also your responsibility – for the sake of yourself, the people you care about and everyone else.

Now for how to vote: no matter how you plan to vote, check to see if you’re registered at sos.iowa.gov, and make sure you’re registered at your current address. Then decide what method you will use: mail-in/absentee (here in Iowa, they’re the same thing), early in-person or on Election Day. You can also consult vote411.org or ballotpedia.org to find information about the candidates.

Mail-in or Absentee (As of Oct. 24, it is now too late to request an absentee ballot)

• When you receive your absentee ballot, read and follow the instructions carefully.
  • Triple check your ballot, making sure that all the information is in the appropriate place, before you mail it to the county auditor.

Absentee ballots must be received by the county auditor’s office by the time the polls close on Election Day, Nov. 3.

If you have not returned your absentee ballot on Election Day, or if you have made a mistake when filling it out, you have a few options:

• Deliver your completed absentee ballot to the county auditor’s office before the polls close on Election Day.
  • Surrender your absentee ballot at the polls and vote with a regular ballot.
  • Vote with a provisional ballot at the polls if you cannot surrender your absentee ballot.

Early in-person (Monday, Oct. 5 to Monday, Nov. 2, 2020)

You can cast an absentee ballot in person at your county auditor’s office. Call ahead to your auditor’s office to verify their hours and what COVID-19 precautions they’re taking.

You will need to fill out your absentee ballot at the auditor’s office. You cannot take the ballot home with you.

You will need to provide one of the following as an ID:

• An Iowa driver’s license or non-operator ID
  • Current US Passport
  • Tribal ID card/document
  • S. military or veteran ID
  • Iowa Voter ID Card.

Please wear a mask.

On Election Day

Check the Iowa Secretary of State’s website to find your polling location.

If you are not registered to vote, you will need to provide a current and valid photo ID:

• Current US Passport
  • Tribal ID card/document
  • S. military or veteran ID
  • Iowa Voter ID Card

Additional acceptable forms of identification are an out-of-state driver’s license or non-operator ID, employer-issued ID or student ID issued by an Iowa high school or college.

If your address has changed or if you need to register after the pre-registration deadline (Oct. 24) or at the polls on election day (Nov. 3), you will also need to provide proof of residence. If your current address is on your ID, then it can also serve as proof of residence. Proof of residence documents need to include your name and address and be current within 45 days of presentation. These documents may be in electronic format, such as on a cell phone or tablet.

Other proof of residence documents include a residential lease, utility bill, cell phone bill, bank statement, paycheck, property tax statement, or a government check or other government document (current within 45 days of final payment date).

If you are registered to vote, you will need to provide one of the following as an ID:

• Current US Passport
  • Tribal ID card/document
  • S. military or veteran ID
  • Iowa Voter ID Card

If you are not able to provide an approved form of identification or proof of residence (if needed), you can either have your identity/residence attested to by another registered voter in the precinct or cast a provisional ballot and then provide ID until 12:00 p.m. on the Monday after Election Day.

Please wear a mask.

Ivy Schuster is the Democratic candidate for State Senate District 38.