Opinion: We demand Grinnell College policies safeguard Black students. Here’s how.

Concerned Black Students members meet to discuss a plan of action, with over 70 people attending, in 2015. Photo by Jenny Chi.

By Raven McClendon and Errol Blackstone
espinarosa20@gmail.com

A white professor’s use of the n-word, inappropriate regardless of context, has prompted outrage among students. That professor’s choice to use the word was racist and using academic freedom as justification for their actions insults Black students. Errol Blackstone ’20 and I (Raven McClendon ’22) were disgusted by the privilege on display. A white man’s “right” to academic freedom should never be more important than the outcry of harmed students.

We are tired of battling racism while merely trying to learn. We are disappointed that Grinnell College has a history of bringing Black students here for diversity without ensuring that the campus and its policies are actually inclusive. If Grinnell College cannot honor its Non-Discrimination Clause, then it might as well be removed because, currently, the clause feels dishonest.

Disgusted, Errol sprang into action! He created two Google Forms. One form is titled “Testimonies Against Racial Injustice At Grinnell College;” use this if you have had a harmful encounter with a racist professor. If you are without testimony, but you know that racism has no place in the classroom, please fill out the form for support. If you agree that white professors should not say, write, or sign racial slurs, support us in any way you can.

While we believe that no professor who has committed racist actions should be shielded from the possibility of termination, we recognize that an anti-racist Grinnell College will require more than firing professors. As long as professors remain our professors, they can hold themselves to our standards. It is imperative that Grinnell College policies safeguard the academic and mental success of the most disrespected demographic. Our faculty should adhere to the standards that students set for them.

Our demands will alter the Grinnell College Policy as well as student/faculty/staff handbooks. Our demands center the well-being of Black students, healing, and harm reduction.

Read our demands. If you want to see our changes implemented, if you care about reducing the harm done unto Black students, give us your support. We will need it.

We demand:

1. The removal of the current Academic Freedom and Integrity clause. This clause should be replaced with a new Racial Slur Clause.

1. Viable and meaningful consequences for faculty who perpetrate racism.

1. Grinnell College funds an anti-racist task force comprised solely of students.

1. The SEPC Coordinator, the VPAA and select SEPC members are added to the advisory board. See Dismissal Clause.

1. The SEPC Coordinator or SEPC members may observe and evaluate professors/classes either randomly or at a scheduled time.

1. All classes begin with an acknowledgement of Indigenous land, and the first five minutes of every class, throughout the school year, should be dedicated to Black Lives Matter.

1. The length of professor contracts be common knowledge.

1. Removal of punitive attendance policies.

1. Grading by professors and by student graders is done in groups of two or three to alleviate explicit or implicit bias.

1. The collection of demographic data on students who receive Academic Progress Reports. The data should be reviewed by the Chief Diversity Officer.

1. Professors must communicate with students one-on-one prior to sending an Academic Progress Report.

1. The collection of demographic data on all the students a Campus Safety officer interacts with. The data should be reviewed by the Chief Diversity Officer.

1. The Grinnell College Student Handbook be rewritten with the assistance of SGA Cabinet/Senators.

1. The implementation of an age discrimination policy that protects students from ageism.

Continue to check The S&B! We are grateful for this platform, and we intend to use it.