Students Speak: Oscars Edition

The film industry’s illustrious awards show, the Oscars, will air on Sunday, Feb. 24. While the Academy will be making the final decisions, The S&B’s Abraham Teuber ‘22 and Sarina Lincoln ‘21 consulted some local Grinnell cinephiles to ask them about their best picture pick of 2018.

“I am a long-time fan of Spiderman, but I am a comic purist . . . I thought the animation style of [“Spiderman: Into the Spider-verse”] was gorgeous, and to do a comic book movie in a comic book style felt visually eloquent . . . I definitely hope it wins Best Animated Feature.” – Dan Strauss ’22
“’A Star Is Born,’ because of the music and also I was impressed by Bradley Cooper, because he was the director but also his acting was really good . . . also, Lady Gaga’s voice was great and I was surprised by how well she could act . . . I cried a little in the end!” – Maya Adachi ’21
“I hope ‘Black Panther’ wins one of its seven Oscar nominations just so I can say Black Panther was an Oscar award-winning movie.” – Linnet Adams ’21
“’Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald’ . . . it had a ridiculously paced plot line, but the special effects were great, it was visually gorgeous.” – Emily Sannella ’22

“’Bohemian Rhapsody’ was fantastic. It gave such a beautiful rendition of Freddie Mercury’s story, as well as the whole development of his character, and [I appreciated] how they accurately portrayed his sexuality.” – Eleanor Wriedt ’22
“I know nothing about the Oscars, but I hope [“Black Panther”] wins because I think that the conversations that came out of it being such a mainstream movie really took conversations of afrofuturism out of academia, and I really appreciated that because I didn’t know much about it beforehand.” – Rachel Hinkley ’21