Students Speak: How did you connect with art this summer?

This summer, Grinnellians connected with art through a variety of mediums. The S&B’s Keli Vitaioli asked students in and around the JRC to share how they experienced art, from concerts to theater and even a rock opera.

“I went to see a lot of different shows that were in Albuquerque, because Albuquerque has a lot of community theatre. … I got to go see and sort of expose myself to different types of theater. I went to see “American Idiot,“ it was a rock opera, and that was really cool because I had never seen a rock opera before.”
-Conner Stanfield ’21
“This summer I did a lot of writing, there was a week when we were in Colorado, and it was really nice to like be in a different spot and just kind of sit down and write. I felt that what I was writing up there was completely different from when I was writing back home in Nebraska.”
-Grace Clawson ’21
“I was in a children’s theater production, which was a lot of fun. … I got to rediscover that childhood joy of theater that I had when I was younger because I’ve always done it. I think especially right before I went to college, it was fun to see that in myself. … It inspired me definitely to come here and pursue it more.”
-Amelia Zoernig ’21
“I worked with Dance Professor Celeste Miller and we looked at what the digital can bring to choreographic collaboration, so we did a lot of dancing across distance and sending each other dancing videos. I also did a lot of drawings for her class. [The culmination was that] I took the template for a science research poster from Noyce, but I hand drew every element. I also performed in the production of “The Music Man” with Grinnell Community Theater.”
-Charlotte Richardson-Deppe ’19
“I began writing more poetry, whether it was like submitting poetry to online chatbooks like Button Poetry or just writing poetry and reflecting.”
– Malcolm Davis ’21
“I toured the country with my band, T-Rextasy, and it was awesome because I got to see a show every night, which was really cool because then it’s less about going to see the bands you like and more about just seeing the music people are creating in the area.”
-Vera Kahn ’18

ALL PHOTOS BY JEFF LI