1010 High Street, Actually the “Old Folks Home”

Clockwise from top left: Jennifer Joy ’16, Lana Saab ’16, Madeline Warnick ’17, Zach Davis ’16 and Sydney McClendon ’16 doing what they do best: cuddling. (Photo by Minh Tran)

On Wednesday at 7:30 a.m. the residents of 1010 High Street — Sydney McClendon, Jennifer Joy, Lana Sabb, Zack Davis (all ’16) and Madeline Warnick ’17 — are gathered on their living room couches and ready for action.

A good night’s sleep is clearly the key to their peppiness so early in the morning.

“I honestly think most of us are in bed or asleep before midnight [on weeknights],” Davis said.

Clearly 1010 High Street isn’t too wild a crowd – at least while McClendon and Joy are in season for volleyball. They even considered calling their house “the Old Folks Home,” but instead settled on simply calling it “1010.”

“We wanted to make our senior year really hardcore, so … we went out and bought two puzzles,” Sabb said.

The house itself is tidy and cozy, reflecting their welcoming and warm personalities. They chose it partially because of the wooden floors and general curb appeal.

“[This] is the nicest High Street house,” Davis boasted.

The group also recalled 1010 High Street being one of the most common party venues their first year. As the site of one of the first parties during their New Student Orientation in 2012, the house itself has a special place in their hearts.

During the week you will probably find the 1010 crew eating meals together, studying in their living room and enjoying each other’s company.

This group of best friends has a very special origin story. Four of the five lived on Norris Second their first year, and became close quickly. Joy, the only one who did not live in Norris, was taken into the group thanks to McClendon.

“And then we just maintained the friendship for four years,” Davis added.

These five are bound together by very little externally.

“Each of us are very different people and we’re interested in very different things,” Joy said.

She describes the group as “a union between athletes and non-athletes, North and South [campus].”

There does seem to be one activity that binds most of them together: cuddling. One night, Davis came home to a dark, seemingly empty house and discovered his four housemates cuddling in bed.

“They just really like to cuddle, and I really don’t,” Davis said.

Davis prefers watching TV to cuddling.

“My favorite time when Zack is [in the living room] is when he’s watching The Voice and just gigging really loudly,” Warnick said.