A Day in the Life: Travis Greene, Dean of Students

Photograph by ANdrew Kelley.

6:05 a.m.—Wake up before the alarm goes off to find Ann Coulter on the television. Immediately shut off the TV and hope this is not a bad omen to the day and fall back asleep.
6:45 a.m.—Wake up to the alarm. No Ann Coulter. Today will be a good day!
7:47 a.m.—Go to work.
7:55 a.m.—Greeted by the always-cheerful Connie Coleman as I enter the JRC.
8:01 a.m.—Check e-mail and answer any messages that came over the night.
9:00 a.m.—Senior Leadership Meeting starts. Topics today included performance reviews and job descriptions, strategic plan updates and information about new policy development.
9:50 a.m.—Head back to the JRC for a weekly meeting with Chris Dorman ’12, SGA Vice-President for Student Affairs, and Andrea Conner.
10:00 a.m.—Chris, Andrea and I talk about things ranging from the upcoming student forum on alcohol use to the student initiative for an outdoor ice rink.
10:50 a.m.—I send an e-mail to the student who was involved in the car accident the night before to see how she’s doing and to provide any support. The student writes back to inform me that she is fine (glad to hear from her directly).
11:00 a.m.—Meeting with Andrea Conner and Laura Gogg. The residence halls look to be almost as full (minus 4-5 empty beds) next spring. We also discuss strategies to help educate students on the need to lock the doors to their residence halls room. Sadly—even in our self-governing community—thefts occur.
12:30 p.m.—Go off-campus to grab a quick lunch and eat at my desk.
2:00 p.m.—Convene a weekly care and concern group with staff from various offices to develop strategies and interventions to best support students in crisis or need.
3:15 p.m.—Respond to an email from an alum who had questions about how self-governance could be enhanced. I shared the many ways in which SGA and Student Affairs have partnered over the years to bolster Self-Gov (including student representation on CHB, CAS and making JudCo completely student run).
4:15 p.m.—Help with the SLAC mock interviews in JRC 101. Our students will be well prepared for their interviews!
4:57 p.m.—Run up to the DSA Suite (3rd floor, JRC) to get ready for a JudCo Hearing. As the dean of students, I serve as a non-voting adviser.
5:15 p.m.—JudCo hearing is convened by a student presiding officer. He does a great job! Students appear to be more at ease with having JudCo be a completely student run process.
6:16 p.m.—Send an e-mail to the SLAC mock interviewee letting him know he was quite impressive.
6:17 p.m.—Answer any emails that came throughout the day.
6:52 p.m. —Send an e-vite to the RLCs and other Res Life staff for our annual holiday party at my house. Always a fun time!
7:00 p.m.—On my way to the Grill for “Green Tea with [greenet],” Dan Hirsch stops me and offers to fabricate my entries for this ADITL series. I politely decline his offer.
7:02 p.m.—Katie Moy-Santos ’12 is at the Grill and reminds me that I’m late. I buy her an iced tea nonetheless. While in the Grill, I connect with Hiba [Elnour ’12], Corbin [Eule ’12] and Grace [Hazeltine ’12]. It’s always nice to catch up with students in a more casual atmosphere.
8:02 p.m.—Stop by the Student Staff appreciation event in JRC 101. To my surprise, students are dancing to the Macarena. I opt to play Hungry, Hungry Hippos with some other student staff instead.
8:40 p.m.—Grab dinner and watch a delayed recording of tonight’s “Glee” episode. Oh, Santana!
9:45 p.m.—Head home. Relax. My turn to play “Words with Friends”.
10:00 p.m.—Start my evening ritual of “The Daily Show”, “The Colbert Report”, and “The Rachel Maddow Show”.
Approx.11:45 p.m.—Fall asleep. Let’s hope tomorrow morning is free from Ann Coulter!