Noa Goldman, Social Media Coordinator

Photo by Paul Hansen.

I’ve been S&B-adjacent since my second year at Grinnell, when I submitted my first comic in my Unreliable Notes series. It was called “Move-in Day” and was inspired by watching my two good friends, Abraham Teuber `22 (one of the S&B’s editors in chief) and Hannah Agpoon `22 (one of the S&B’s graphic designers), move into their dorm room. It has been such a pleasure to draw my Unreliable Notes these last three years!

Outside of the Opinions section, I’ve had many different roles within the S&B. I have been a freelance writer, a staff writer and this semester I am one of the social media coordinators. Working at the S&B has pushed my writing and my art, but most importantly it has taught me how to be a better decision maker.

Behind every article the S&B publishes, there are countless decisions, big and small. There are discussions about who will be interviewed for the story, what tone the article should have, what exactly should be in its Twitter summary and so much more. And no matter the nuance and complexity of such discussions, in the end the staff must make a decision to the best of their ability and take responsibility for any mistakes made.

The staff at the S&B understands the gravity of their work. They understand that the decisions they make affect how the news they cover is interpreted. I have learned so much from this process and from being a part of these discussions, even peripherally. And I have every confidence that the next generation of the S&B, led by Nadia Langley `23 and Allison Moore `24, will continue to take the time and energy to make such active and informed decisions.