On the eve of the general election, a Trump car parade in Grinnell

An 82-car parade through downtown Grinnell on Monday evening hosted Trump flags and chants of “Four more years”. Photo by Andrew Tucker.

“Trump has got this thing in the bag,” said Tom Cooper, the Co-Chair of the Poweshiek County Republicans, as he watched a parade in support of Donald Trump begin to form in downtown Grinnell on Monday evening.

Decked out with everything from American flags to depictions of Trump dressed as John Rambo, a total of 82 cars made their way through the city, starting on 4th Avenue at the old Candyland station, now the Republican county office. The new office touts the signage of Dave Maxwell, the county Republican up for his 5th straight term as district 76’s representative.

As the cars began to roll out, a mixture of Lee Greenwood’s God Bless The U.S.A and the collective “4 more years” chant rang out from those standing along the street in support of Donald Trump’s reelection.

“I feel better about Trump’s chances right now than I ever have” said Debi Olson, one of the participants in the parade; “there is more enthusiasm right now with [Trump’s] rallies than I have ever seen,” she continued.

President Donald Trump’s campaign has held 23 rallies in the past 7 days in preparation for the general election on November 3rd. The president’s October 31st rally in Butler Pennsylvania produced a crowd of 57,000 people.

“Trump’s polls changing for the better also help,” said Olson. Current Iowa polls have shown Trump separating from his opponent, now leading Biden 48% to 41% per a Des Moines Register/Mediacom Iowa Poll.

“I think I was more sure of his chances in 2016, but I just keep saying, he is going to win,” said hopeful Trump supporter Rachel Porath.

“There is no question in my mind that [Trump] will get reelected, hell, I think Republicans will flip the House of Representatives as well,” said Cooper.

The parade passed by the Eagles Club and the now-defunct soda fountain and diner Candyland Station as it progressed through downtown Grinnell. Photos by Andrew Tucker.