Day in the Life: Clare Roarty ’22

Day in the Life: Clare Roarty 22

6:32 a.m. — Wake up way too early because I am stressed about getting to my tutorial on time. Try not to wake up my roommate.

6:50 a.m. — Walk/run to the JRC.

6:55 a.m. — Begin attempting to print tutorial homework.

7:05 a.m. — Printing was much easier than expected and I now have lots of time for breakfast.

7:12 a.m. — Ate some hash browns and quiche instead of my usual Raisin Bran. It was a good decision.

8:00 a.m. — Tutorial starts. Ahhhhh! Mildly stressed out because my peers have to read my writing but whatever! Everything’s fine!

8:57 a.m. — During our five minute break in tutorial I run downstairs and refill my water in the Grill. Definitely the best water I’ve encountered on campus so far.

9:54 a.m. — Help some fellow first-years print stuff in the JRC.  Feeling super cool and in the know.

9:57a.m. — I fight off the urge to go back to my room and nap. I instead go to the library.

10:05 a.m. — Honestly, I’m really confused by the library. Where do people not talk? Can I take up a whole table by myself? Is that rude? Is it weird for me to study by myself?

11:23 a.m. — Leave the library to go eat lunch and beat the Dining Hall lunch rush.

11:32 a.m. — Make a beeline to the vegan station, even though I’m not vegan — Is that bad? Idk.

11:37 a.m. — Take a panicked look around the room hoping to spot some familiar faces. Finally see people I recognize. Thank goodness.

12:22 p.m. — Drop off my plate and cup, remembering before I put my tray down to pick up my silverware. Feeling like a true D-Hall pro at this point.

12:30 p.m. — Go to the College Garden to water my bean plant for tutorial. It’s not doing too well … oops.

12:42 p.m. — Run up to my room to grab a few things and stay there longer than intended.

12:50 p.m. — Swiftly jog to class, definitely not taking the best sidewalk route.

1:15 p.m. — Older people in my classes are kinda scary, but super nice!

2:30 p.m. — Think about going for a run, decide not to go.

2:34 p.m. — Take a quick break and do the New York Times crossword puzzle for the day … didn’t do so hot on this one.

3:00 p.m. — Head back to the library to get some work done.

3:43 p.m. — Spend an absurd amount of time choosing a new laptop background. Who knew you can have a rotating background!? So exciting!!

4:15 p.m. — Head back to my dorm to toss on a nice clean Dining Hall uniform and head to the JRC to eat an early dinner before my shift.

5:10 p.m. — Cutting vegetables is a lot harder than expected and I’m #stressed.

9:10 p.m. — Finally done with work, smelling mildly of vegetables.

9:15 p.m. — Change clothes and head back to the library for the final grind of the day. I really gotta start working faster… yikes.

10:40 p.m. — Call it quits on homework for the night, I tell myself I’ll wake up early to finish in the morning. That may or may not happen.

11:00 p.m. — Say goodnight to my roommates and read some Jane Austen before falling asleep.

Clare Roarty ’22 in the JRC, the same place where she has been known to show off her printing skills.
Photo By Andrew Tucker