Day in the Life: Professor Kelly Herold

Professor Kelly Herold, Russian, outlines her typical day. Photo by Andrew Tucker.

6:30 a.m. — The Evil Alarm (so named by me and my kid as it’s the only one certain to wake up the house) makes horrible noises. Rely on canned coffee to get out of bed. Do email. Read Twitter. It was a busy weekend in the world of Trump. Look forward to Cohen’s day in court.
7:30 a.m. — Wake kid, start to leave house, forget many things, have to go back twice before finally making it out.
8:00 a.m. — Coffee, bagel, Russian 101 prep in the Grill. Text family in our HarFamBe group text.
9:00 a.m. — Russian. Verbs for marriage, divorce, etc. Remind self that language reflects sexism, isn’t sexist in and of itself.
10:00 a.m. — Student meeting rescheduled, so ask for help in making a poster for a talk next week. Read Twitter. Cohen not due in court until after my afternoon class. Start prepping for afternoon class.
11:30 a.m. — Run to McNally’s to pick up lunch before 12 p.m. student comes in. It is SO cold. Curse universe and Iowa. And April.
12:00 p.m. — Make up exam.
1:00 p.m. — Signed up a new Russian major. Ура! The few, the proud, the mighty.
2:00 p.m. — Afternoon literature class — American YA Fantasy. On the agenda — Malinda Lo’s “Ash” and Nnedi Okorafor’s “Akata Witch.”
3:30 p.m. — Pull up Twitter. Laugh out loud at Cohen’s reveal of Client #3. True joy in a gray, cold day.
3:30 p.m. — Phone call with friendly and helpful literary agent at superstar Children’s/YA literary agency about a talented student looking to break into industry.
4:30 p.m. — Phone call over. Time to go home!
4:35 p.m. — Begin dinner. 10 minutes later, kid shows up from tennis early (did I mention the weather was bad on Monday?) and is starving. Can’t rush the rice cooker. Child heads to McNally’s and consumes many snacks so he’ll survive until 5:45.
5:45 p.m. — Dinner. It’s just me and a 17-year-old these days, so we usually watch some sort of news program when eating dinner. Revel in coverage of Cohen court date.
6:30 p.m. — Laundry, laundry, laundry. Dishes. Email.
8:00 p.m. — Consider doing some work. Or maybe clean the house, which really needs it. Instead watch another episode of “Scott and Bailey” (feminist British cop show — thanks, [History Professor] Carolyn Herbst Lewis, for the recommendation!) with a friend.
10:30 p.m. — Last shot at email. Quite a few this evening including one with the speaker coming in next week.
12:30-ish a.m. — Finally fall asleep. The Evil Alarm is set for 7 a.m.