Day in the life: Concerned Black Students

Left+to+right%3A+Evelyn+Nkooyooyo+%E2%80%9918%2C+Dixon+Romeo+%E2%80%9916%2C+Alexandra+Odom+%E2%80%9916%2C+Shaquall+Brown+%E2%80%9915+and+Ifetayo+Olutosin+%E2%80%9918.+Photo+by+Parker+Van+Nostrand+
Left to right: Evelyn Nkooyooyo ’18, Dixon Romeo ’16, Alexandra Odom ’16, Shaquall Brown ’15 and Ifetayo Olutosin ’18. Photo by Parker Van Nostrand

7:30 a.m.—Ifetayo Olutosin ’18: Because I cannot afford to have the club go up on a Tuesday (hit me up on Wednesday though), I usually begin my Wednesday mornings fairly refreshed from a good night’s rest.

9:00 a.m.—Evelyn Nkooyooyo ’18:  Je parle de l’Occupation et le seconde guerre mondiale dans la classe de francais avec mes amis! (I learn about World War II in French class with my friends!)

10:35 a.m.—Cedric Abdul-Hakeem ’15: When I pick clothes to wear, for some reason, I tend to lean toward a more afro-centric feel. I’ve been thinking about doing it for the entirety of February since it’s a habit now. Nah.

11:51 a.m.—Channel Turbides ’17: Chemistry just ended and the last 11 minutes of my life have been a blur. I mean, are significant figures really that important?!?

1:25 p.m.—Shaquall Brown ’15: Talking about why black women are so flawless with one of the realest profs to ever do it (Lakesia Johnson, Gender, Women’s and Sexuality Studies).

3:47 p.m.—Ifetayo: Following the mailroom, I usually go do work in Noyce with my friends Niya [Weedon ’18] and Jherron [Sutton ’18] (#TooLiveCrew, we work hard so we can play harder).

4:03 p.m.—Alexandra Odom ’16: Check Expedia for ticket prices to London. I have to go back to London, I love it there, everything is amazing and I need to move ASAP.

4:04 p.m.—Odom: See ticket prices, forget trip to London.

5:20—Nkooyooyo: D-Hall life. Good laughs, good vibes, great friends.

6:10 p.m.—Dixon Romeo ’16: Practicing in the CBS suite for the Black History Month Student Showcase. You already know.

6:30 p.m.—Romeo: I’m harassing Abby [Goreham ’15] about another event I’m planning. Dixon Scholar stays active in these Grinnell streets. Ask about me: Class Ambassador, ACE security, track, disability task force, Waltz chair (Spring ’14), 80s, 90s and 2000s. The list continues but we have reached the word limit.

7:00 p.m.—Turbides: Time to run to YGB because I’m late.

8:25 p.m.—Brown: Thinking of ways to finesse a soul food Sunday dinner out of Kington. I stay petty and hungry. #savage

9:00 p.m.—SQUAD: CBS meeting every Wednesday in the CBS suite. It’s crowded but there’s nothing but love. It’s the highlight of all our days and a place where we can chill and escape the stress of Grinnell for an hour. We flame each other, plan Black History Month and be BEAUTIFUL.