Day in the Life–Robert Logan

Ellen Schoenmaker

6:45 a.m.—Alarm goes off.  I do nothing (does any Day in the Life not start with this?).

7:12 a.m.—Realize I haven’t showered in three days…

7:13 a.m.—Shower.

7:28 a.m.—Want to thank whoever put the giant poster of the baby chimp in the first stall of the male bathroom on Younker 2nd North this weekend.

7:35 a.m.—Go through final edits of my history paper due at 9 a.m.

8:17 a.m.—Print paper in Younker comp. lab.

8:20 a.m.—Call SHACS to set up an appointment so they can remove the coughing demon inside of me; they have a spot in 25 min.

8:25 a.m.—Breakfast with Joe Lohman ’14 (accidentally grab apple pancakes instead of blueberry!).

8:45 a.m.—In SHACS for a 10 min appointment where we establish that (1) I am in fact coughing a lot (2) lots of other people around campus are coughing a lot (3) I should get a bag of drugs to help me not cough so much.

9:10 a.m.—Watch a short film on early twentieth century China followed by a discussion of Chinese feudalism.

10:05 a.m.—Check in with my advisor, Peter Jacobson, PhD, BAMF, for what I plan to be a 5 min talk about class later that day but end up discussing campus emergency protocols, Neverland, the Grinnell Steakhouse and how far I made it during previous 10/10s (usually Main).

10:45 a.m.—Start composing an email to Kristen Shriver ’12, Younker SA fo’ life!

10:59 a.m.—Run to Intro Anthro in Steiner and arrive in time for a lecture full of flashbacks to Intro Pol Sci first year with Gemma Sala.

11:00 a.m.—Start feeling nostalgia for my first year.

11:55 a.m.—Meet up with Professor Eckhart [Biology] and a visiting professor over lunch to have the first real conversation I’ve ever had with grown-ups about graduate school.

1:20 p.m.—Finish lunch with a renewed feeling of confidence in my decision not to go to graduate school for several years.

1:21 p.m.—Check [gorp] email; isn’t this how everyone procrastinates?

1:42 p.m.—Send a text to co-SA Tyler Smiley ’14 with a Lil’ Peanut quote. I’m on to you!

2:15 p.m.—Head to Noyce to help Bio 150 mentees plant seeds in the greenhouse on the roof.

3:16 p.m.—Discover that the college has Venus Fly Traps in the greenhouse!

4:02 p.m.—In the Grille to talk with Julia Clymer ’13 about GORP horseback riding trips (coming soon).

4:22 p.m.—Get to work in the GORP Room with Leslie “not Lez-lee” Bean ’13.

4:27 p.m.—Remind myself how happy I am that I’m not responsible for choosing who goes on the GORP fall break canoe trip; if only we could bring twice as many people!  Maybe next year…

5:45 p.m.—Send out GORP emails.

6:04 p.m.—Dinner with Neverland Playas; we’re the strange group of people that stood outside together to hide from our director.

7:00 p.m.—Neverland rehearsal! Three hours of acting like a child with a bunch of other college students.

10:12 p.m.—Distract Kate Doyle ’13, a favorite pastime.

10:56 p.m.—Exercise a tremendous amount of self-restraint preventing myself from watching a Star Trek: Voyager episode before going to bed.

11:03 p.m.—Teeth brushed. Clothes changed. Time for bed. Set my alarm to wake me up in 9-1/2 hours, I’m going to defeat this sickness.

11:04 p.m.—Realize I did absolutely no homework today. Oh well, I’m already in bed; time for 5 min of reading from Wilderness Search & Rescue to fall asleep to.