Steakhouse celebrates three-Year anniversary with beach themed party, Eric Mistry investigates

A good steak is hard to find. Rare, some might say. Unless, of course, one ventures to the Grinnell Steakhouse. Located off of US 146 just before the highway, the Grinnell Steakhouse is a large local restaurant and bar with a private dining area available.

I visited the Grinnell Steakhouse among a group of friends during the three-year anniversary of its opening. The restaurant hosted a beach party themed evening in celebration of this milestone, so the servers were wearing leis and dinner was accompanied by music from a Hawaiian-shirt-clad DJ. We were seated quickly in the back area against a backdrop of kitschy yet pleasant artificial garden wallpapering and began perusing the menu. I decided to order a rib-eye sandwich (medium rare) for $10 and added a trip to the salad bar for an additional $5.

First, I visited the salad bar. Not only does it offer the usual staples of lettuces, vegetables, and dressings, but also includes a menagerie of other foods and soups. I loaded up a plate with salad, homemade mac and cheese, and steak infused baked beans accompanied by a cup of steak soup. The beans and soup were dense, rich, and intensely flavorful, although the soup was slightly too cold. The mac and cheese was the surprise highlight: Warm and slightly nutty, it included kernels of corn that added an unusual but scrumptious flavor to a classic dish.

Soon after I finished my “salad” my rib-eye sandwich came with a plateful of fries accompanying it. The generous portion of meat more than covered the bun. The sandwich was adorned with blue cheese and grilled onions, just as I requested. The sandwich was quite scrumptious, but somewhat difficult to eat, as the juiciness of the rib-eye soaked through the basic bun pretty quickly. It would be great to see another bread option that would hold up better as well as match the high quality of the meat at the Grinnell Steakhouse. The fries served on the side were crisp, well-seasoned and a good complement to the sandwich. I finished my meal feeling quite full and very satisfied with my choice. One of my dining companions chose to indulge in a creme brulee and graciously shared with the rest of the table. The dessert, with perfectly torched sugar on top, was quickly devoured by the members of the table, and marked the ideal end to a delectable dining experience.

Other dinner options include the Grinnell Steakhouse Burger, ($6.99) twice-nominated as the best burger in Iowa, and multiple options for grilled meat. Steak options range from $16.95 for a 10 oz bacon-wrapped sirloin to $24.95 for a 16 oz filet mignon. Other grill options include skewers of shrimp ($5.95 each) or marinated chicken breast ($12.95).

The Grinnell Steakhouse provides a delicious, filling meal for a reasonable price. The friendly, prompt service and excellent quality meat make this a great restaurant well worth venturing out of town for. Gems like the Grinnell Steakhouse are rare. … Or perhaps medium rare?