This Week in SGA

SGA Joint Board got down to business, both figuratively and literally this week. During the debut of Presiding Officer Peter Aldrich ’15, the meeting’s pace was brisk and smooth, as his extensive knowledge of parliamentary procedure was put on display during a discussion of Grinnell’s relationship with the business community.
“A number of alums high up in the financial business feel like the College does not support them,” said SGA President Gabe Schechter ’12, who said that many college students are lured into businesses like consulting because of its lucrative compensation.
Senators debated ways for the College to retain its social justice mission and hipster reputation, while supporting those with more mainstream ambitions. Senator Ron Chiu ’13 suggested a rethinking of some of Grinnell’s curriculum—he had to take an accounting class at a community college over the summer.
“I want to make as much money as I can in life. You want to know why? Because I can decide how that money is spent,” said Senator Sam Mulopulos ’14. “Got a great idea but no money? I can say, ‘Don’t worry. I got money for you.’”
Joe Hiller ’12 and Robin Wetherill ’12 presented the budget for Grinnell’s annual trip to the School of the Americas Protest, which advocates for better human rights standards in Latin America. They requested $3,000. After discussing the importance of the trip and how members of the trip will contribute their own funds, Joint Board voted 13-4-1 to approve the budget.
VPSA Chris Dorman ’12 reported that there were three more alcohol-related hospitalizations last weekend. He is coordinating efforts to hold an open forum on Grinnell’s alcohol culture and policy, but a time and place for the meeting have not yet been determined.
Senators discussed the campus bike program after a report concerning the maintenance costs of 11-15 bikes on campus. Although the campus bikes receive derision for their often-poor upkeep, the cost is not high, and some senators suggested potential changes to the program to make it more efficient.
The Student Environmental Committee stated its opinion that the administration was not putting enough effort into financing and building Grinnell’s wind turbines. SEC hopes to have a meeting with President Kington to talk about progress.
Finally, the Dining Committee announced that there would soon be better bread and bagel options for outtakes. The next theme night, Fire and Ice, will be held on Nov. 16, and the Dining Hall plans to “go big.” Assistant Treasurer Raghav Malik ’13 was disappointed that the Indian food for the Dining Hall’s Diwali Night did not taste like real Indian food, while Senator Joe Engleman ’14 rejoiced that the English food for Harry Potter Night did not taste like real English food.