SJP moves forward

Social Justice Week went off without a hitch and the Prize winners enjoyed their visit to campus according to Melisa Chan, coordinator of the Social Justice Prize. The prize-winner’s 12 hour-schedules were full but Chan and the Innovators found the week to be more exhilarating than busy.
“I think I’m suffering from ‘winners withdrawal, just because of the excitement of them being here on campus, and how much they inspired me,” Chan said. “I mean, I’ve been reading about them forever but never got to meet them.”
All four prize winners talked to students and staff alike. They reported having positive encounters with the overall Grinnell attitude and experience.
“Last week went amazingly well. The prize-winners came on campus and inspired students, faculty and staff, and community members all around town. The prize winners also learned a lot from the Grinnell community,” said Chan.
Involvement with the 2011 Winners and their organizations doesn’t end when the 2012 innovators are announced. Grinnell will continue to support their organizations as well as attempt to establish opportunities for internships in addition to discussions regarding other types of opportunities.
The deadline for applications to be considered for the 2012 Young Innovators for Social Justice Prize is on Nov. 14. After all nominees are received, the review and selection process begins. Last year there were 50 students, 50 faculty and staff, and 50 alumni to help review nominations. This year, students will again be needed on the review committee in order to decide on the finalists.
“The influence of members is rated one third, one third, one third,” Chan said. “Students, staff, and alumni all have equal input for the finalists. Student input is very important to the process in determining who will be the finalists given to the selection committee.”
Students can find more information and sign up to volunteer to review nominations by clicking on “Volunteer Opportunities” on the Prize’s website at www.grinnell.edu/socialjusticeprize. Reviewing the nominees only takes a couple of hours!