Go Forth: Grinnell Alums Impress! Goering goes from Grinnell to Google

The next time you open up a new tab to Google something, think of the Grinnell connection. Megan Goering ’08, who was an economics and political science double major, currently works in Operations for Google Apps for Enterprise. After commencement, she embarked on a very Grinnellian-rich journey on her way to Google.

“My path from Grinnell has been full of Grinnellians. The Grinnell network has possibly been the most important thing to me. I lived with Grinnellians I met through Plans my first two years out of college, hung out with Chicago Grinnellians, my first job I worked alongside two Grinnellians and then I left that job to work alongside a Grinnellian in the Bay Area,” Goering said. “I got my new job at Google through two Grinnellians. I date and live with a Grinnellian and am best friends with a few more. Definitely one happy family.”

The suite of apps that Goering works on is used by both small businesses and larger organizations, including colleges. Goering was excited by this semester’s student initiative that discussed using Google products like Gmail for the entire campus, which would potentially create another link back to her fond Grinnell memories.

“I loved the community. Also, I loved that all of the students when I prospied, not only were fun to hang out with and really smart, but were also really inclusive,” Goering said. “They said things like, ‘You should come here.’ I think that special ‘you are one of us’ spirit is definitely something that defines Grinnell and makes it special to be an alum.”

Goering participated in debate throughout her four years and worked as a Technology Consultant. She started participating in SGA her first year, and was SGA President during her final year at the College. Goering enjoyed her variety of activities and being able to interact with students across campus.

“[Self-governance] struggled from time to time, but it was all that it promised to be. I really liked the idea that students of Grinnell take leadership over the campus and are given a lot of autonomy and empowerment to decide how things are going to run,” Goering said. “I also loved being able to interact with such smart and interesting people from all over the place.”

Goering, who recently presented at the Career Development Office (CDO), is thoroughly enjoying her experiences at Google and encourages fellow Grinnellians to come check it out, and to be sure to use their Grinnell connections in general.

“You’ll find Grinnellians everywhere,” Goering said.