YGB sings, says goodbye to twelve seniors

Last Saturday April 16, Grinnell’s Young, Gifted, and Black Gospel Choir filled Herrick Chapel with sound. The singers clapped and swayed back and forth as they belted classics like “Ride on King Jesus” and “With God I Can.” The choir is lead by Barry Jones, Lecturer in Music, who also accompanied on the piano, and consists of forty-two students and two guest musicians, Jon McCutchen on drums and Byron Jones on bass.

Christian Snow '13 belts out a solo during the Young, Gifted and Black choir concert last Saturday in Herrick Chapel. The group took an extended and emotional intermission to honor the graduating fourth years in the choir. Photograph taken by Ben Brewer.

The choir was dressed uniformly in black robes with flowing white sleeves, which accentuated their animated motion. The energy in the room was affecting, and throughout the concert audience members would stand up to join the sway. Others sat quietly, eyes closed, lost in the music.

The audience, like the choir, was comprised of many different creeds and colors and consisted of students, faculty and town-members. The singers are proud of their eclectic group.

“We are a family comprised of individuals from all over the world,” said member Michelle Okafor ’11. “We bring our culture, our different religious backgrounds and experiences together to form a choir. We are unified through diversity across all racial/ethnic, religious, and class statuses.”

The Young, Gifted and Black choir ensemble performs in Herrick Chapel on Saturday afternoon. The group performed eight songs and took an intermission to honor the senior members in the choir. Photograph taken by Ben Brewer.

Simon Kanter ’12, who attended the concert, joked that “to be part of the Young, Gifted, and Black Choir you only need to fulfill two of the three descriptions.” Indeed, the choir has open arms for all individuals. Barry Jones affirmed that anyone in the audience could show up for rehearsal.

“Everyone is welcome,” Jones said.

For the members of the choir, YGB is much like the family Okafor described. Halfway through the concert the singers cleared the stage in order to honor their 12 graduating seniors. For each senior, a lowerclassman presented a flower and a few words of praise and thanks.

The ceremony demonstrated the deep bonds within the choir. Although they only practice together once a week, the singers are devoted to helping each other overcome any struggle and are certainly there to celebrate life’s blessings.

“The energy is amazing! When the songs we sing speak into my situation, I feel a surge of chills and excitement overtake my body,” Okafor said.

Indeed, looking through the audience everyone was smiling, the uplifting songs of the choir melted away any stress or burden. Although this was their last concert of the year, their doors are always open for anyone who wants to sing.