Staff Editorial: From some other concerned Grinnell students

The leaders of the Stonewall Resource Center (SRC), using the name “Concerned Students of Grinnell,” requested “institutional change” in order to “deal effectively with the aftermath of hate crimes and to implement measures to help prevent these events from continually reoccurring.”

The “Concerned Students of Grinnell” are using the recent hate crime as a vehicle to rationalize their appeal for certain policies. Such a tactic feels largely exploitative—a ploy for sympathy that falls flat considering the disconnect between the personal nature of the incident and the “Concerned Students of Grinnell’s” political campaign waged in the aftermath.

The list of 18 policy changes existed in some form before the hate crime occurred. At no point before the most recent incident did the “Concerned Students of Grinnell” present the list to the administration. In fact, at no point after the most recent incident did the “Concerned Students of Grinnell” present the list to the administration. The administration learned of the list through various students who acquired it. There is nothing wrong with pointing out possible improvements. But according to our count, at least nine of the 18 proposals had already been implemented in some form.

One such proposal is to “Discuss community expectations and bias-motivated incidents policy during tutorial.” Student Government Association President Ben Offenberg ’11 and Acting Vice-President of Diversity and Achievement Kathleen Skerrett have been going to each tutorial to discuss exactly these issues. The “Concerned Students of Grinnell’s” refusal to recognize this fact undermines their credibility as a group that is capable of working towards the change they demand.

The repeated sexist, homophobic and racist attacks on members of the Grinnell community are unacceptable and hate crimes must be met with a zero-tolerance policy. The fact that this particular incident is the latest in a string of personal attacks against one student makes it particularly appalling as it undermines the sense of security and social justice that we value as a community. While the administration can and should provide support, we cannot hold them solely responsible when things within our student community go wrong.

In the immediate aftermath of a bias-motivated incident, the priority should be protecting the members of our community who are directly targeted. The newly revised Hate Crime/Bias-Motivated Incident Response Protocol focuses the community’s response on this point. The immediate response of the administration in this most recent incident effectively assisted the targeted student in accordance with the Protocol. However, by organizing a rally and other responses without consulting the staff member designated to communicate directly with the targeted individuals, the “Concerned Students of Grinnell” did violate the Protocol.

These “Concerned Students of Grinnell” are exploiting the emotional state of the campus and playing off of the broader student body’s vulnerability. By conflating their political agenda with the recent hate crime on campus, they are channeling the student body’s desire to support the targeted individual into supporting their cause. And by assigning themselves the name “Concerned Students of Grinnell,” they fail to acknowledge that any other group can be concerned without aligning with their political agenda.

At Grinnell, we are all concerned students.