Breaking: College updates masking policy in light of COVID-19 spread on campus

By Allison Moore
mooreall2@grinnell.edu

On Sunday night, Grinnell College updated its masking policy, placing stricter restrictions on masking indoors. At all times, campus community members and visitors must remain masked indoors effective immediately, the campus-wide email said.

Students may only unmask when alone in a closed office space. Anytime a student is not alone, they must be masked. Classroom spaces require masks at all times, even when alone.

For employees and students, masking will be enforced “when not actively eating”. Student events involving eating can occur outside of any academic buildings. At these times, students must remain masked when not eating.

Additionally, the College has said that in-person meetings can continue, but that regardless of group size, all participants must wear masks.

These changes have been issued only two weeks after the previous masking policy which allowed students and faculty to dine together indoors in groups of 15 people or less.

The College cited a local rise in COVID-19 rates and a “handful” of recent cases on campus as reason for their temporary pause on relaxed masking protocols. New York Times statistics indicate an average of seven new COVID-19 cases per day in Poweshiek County.

The College also urged students to receive their COVID booster shots,. The CDC recently updated their guidance to allow anyone 18 or older to receive the booster.

The Grinnell College public health team will continue to review the conditions during this week and said they will update their guidance after Thanksgiving break. For now, the duration of these updated masking policies is unclear.