Second COVID-19 booster available to some residents in Grinnell

The+second+dose+of+the+COVID-19+vaccine+is+available+at+HyVee%2C+Walmart+and+the+Grinnell+Regional+Medical+Center.+Graphic+by+Shabana+Gupta.+
The second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine is available at HyVee, Walmart and the Grinnell Regional Medical Center. Graphic by Shabana Gupta.

On April 12, the CDC updated the COVID-19 guidelines recommending people 50 and older and those who are moderately to severely immunocompromised to receive a new dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine is being administered at various places in the Grinnell area, including Hy-Vee, Walmart, and Grinnell Regional Medical Center (GRMC). 

The CDC has classified the following groups as immunocompromised: those who are currently receiving cancer treatment, those who have received an organ transplant recently, those who are taking immunosuppressants and those who have an advanced and or untreated HIV infection among other conditions.  

No documentation of the conditions needs to be presented to the vaccine providers, said the CDC. 

The current CDC guidelines recommend that children ages 5 to 11 years who are moderately or severely immunocompromised should receive a total of three doses: the second dose three weeks after the first dose, and the third dose at least four weeks following the second dose. No boosters are currently recommended for this age group. 

The CDC also has recommendations for pre-teens, teens, and adults who are moderately or severely immunocompromised. Those in this age group who are following the Pfizer series should receive four doses, following the same timing described above for the first three doses with a booster administered at least three months after the third dose. The CDC has similar recommendations for those who are following the Moderna series; the only difference with the Pfizer series is that the second dose should be administered four weeks after the first dose. 

The CDC has also provided recommendations for the Johnson & Johnson/Janssen series, indicating that the second dose be administered at least four weeks after the first dose and a booster two months after the second dose. 

The CDC recommends that individuals who are moderately to severely immunocompromised and have received vaccines not available in the US should restart the recommended vaccine series; that is, restart the entire vaccination series with the vaccines available in the US. 

The full CDC recommendations can be found on their website. 

Walmart currently has the Moderna vaccine available and expects to have the Pfizer vaccine available by the end of the week. They accept both walk-ins and appointments. The appointments can be made through their website.  

Hy-Vee offers the Pfizer vaccine for appointments and walk-ins. The appointments can also be scheduled at their website. 

GRMC has the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccine available by appointment for people over the age of 18 and the Pfizer pediatric dose available for children ages 5-11. Appointments can be made by calling 641-236-2385.