Day in the Life: Gordon Canfield

5:45 a.m. – Woke up before the WOI bedside radio came on. Sat on the edge of the bed contemplating the day before me.
5:50 a.m. – Wandered into the bathroom, turned on WOI, performed morning ablutions, then dressed, putting on my good city logo shirt.
6:25 a.m. – Drank a glass of orange juice, looked at the headlines on front page of Des Moines Register, promising myself to read the rest of it at noon.
7:00 a.m. – Attended the City Council’s Finance Committee meeting. Members discussed and finally approved to send several routine items on to the full Council.
8:00 a.m. – Met with the City Manager to review results of our trip to Washington, D.C. last week with the Poweshiek County delegation.
8:30 a.m. – Met with a new city employee to inquire about how his job was going. He’s sure excited about his job. And he’s doing a good job.
8:40 a.m. – Started to read the Washington Post online as I always do each morning.
10:00 a.m. – Spent the rest of the morning delivering and setting up the display items for the Grinnell Sister City exhibit at Grinnell Regional Medical Center.
12:00 p.m. – Went to my condo for a bowl of soup and to read the DSM Register. Didn’t quite get to it.
1:00 p.m. – Began plans for Grinnell’s Fourth of July Celebration. Good meeting.
2:15 p.m. – Met with Bill Menner, executive director of POW I-80, a countywide commission concerned with economic growth, to rehash last week’s Washington trip.
2:25 p.m. – Composed and sent off a letter and three copies of the Grinnell Sesquicentennial DVD to Meridian International Center in Washington.
3:40 p.m. – Home to finally read the Des Moines Register!
5:00 p.m. – Returned to my office to read and answer a couple of e-mails.
5:30 p.m. – Meeting of the City Council’s Planning Committee. Discussed use of Stewart Library for Grinnell Area Arts Council and approved pay request for contractor building Drake Family Library and a 28 E Agreement between City of Grinnell and Poweshiek County.
6:15 p.m. – Met with City Council’s Public Works & Grounds Committee —they approved several items of routine business plus heard an educational presentation from the executive director of our Four County Landfill group. Solid waste fees are going up! Need more recycling!
7:00 p.m. – Presided at the regular meeting of the Grinnell City Council. Meeting was rather short and routine.
7:50 p.m. – Went with friends to Lonnski’s for a drink and a hamburger.
8:45 p.m. – Got home, poured a small glass of wine and read my e-mails. Nothing good on TV, so I went to bed by 10 p.m.