Tommy O’Donnell

Photo+contributed+by+Tommy+ODonnell.+
Photo contributed by Tommy O’Donnell.

I really don’t enjoy looking back on things and trying to sum them up – but here it goes.

I decided to write for The S&B my first semester, I felt like since I hadn’t joined a sports team the least I could do is to write about them for the newspaper. My second semester I wrote a bi-weekly column reviewing new music. I think this pretty much sums up why The S&B is so great – you can write about anything that you are passionate about.

Although I had enjoyed writing for The S&B during my first year, big money offers for my signature came in from the Grinnell College Marketplace and Mail Services which I could not refuse, forcing me to spend the next one and a half years away from JRC 220.

I finally returned spring semester of my third year, this time to take over the role of sports editor. A couple months later, about a month after Jackson Schulte ‘20 was announced as the new editor-in-chief, I had somehow become the most under-qualified co-editor-in-chief in our history. Thankfully, I had Jackson as a great person to work with and a great friend to help me get settled.

I’ve had a wonderful time working with The S&B staff, especially over the last year, who have contributed so much to improving the newspaper and the quality of our reporting. I’m sure this upwards trajectory will continue under the guidance of Zoe Fruchter ’21 and Seth Taylor ’21, our new co-editors-in-chief.