Kate Irwin

Photo+contributed+by+Kate+Irwin.+
Photo contributed by Kate Irwin.

Kate Irwin ‘20 has been a staff member for The S&B for the entirety of her Grinnell College experience. Irwin did not think that she would be passionate about working for the paper; she initially began writing to make some extra cash. What drew her to The S&B and inspired her to stay involved, despite balancing her involvement as a varsity athlete, other campus jobs and other extra-curriculars, was the community.

Working and writing for The S&B is a very unique experience. The paper draws Grinnellians of all backgrounds, making it a wonderful way to meet others whose paths you may not cross. Additionally, the staff is quirky. Things get weird, really quickly, past 2 a.m. during Thursday night layouts.

Another thing that Irwin will remember is the workspace. The office is full of random quotes and notes from past staff members, reminding staff members of their commitment and responsibility to institutional memory and legacy.

Irwin plans to lay low until the pandemic dies down—or at least is under control. She plans to find a job working in affordable housing, with the goal to eventually work in affordable housing policy. Her interest in housing is an interesting niche that she discovered during a summer MAP with Professor Inglis in 2018. Irwin has had experiences researching housing issues and working for affordable housing organizations. She eventually hopes to move out to Washington, D.C., with the company of her cat Aflie, to create better housing policy.