2010-2011 SGA Cabinet positions finalized

With the spring semester coming to a close, next year’s SGA cabinet has been finalized. Approved at this week’s Joint Board for the 2010-2011 academic year, Vice President of Student Affairs (VPSA) and next year’s SGA President, Ben Offenberg ’11 is excited to work with all new members of the cabinet, including Concerts Chair, Student Service Coordinator and Films Chair.

“It’s a more diverse cabinet than we’ve had in previous years. One example is, right now…it’s 50 percent female, which hasn’t happened in my recent memory, nor anyone in cabinet’s recent memory,” Offenberg said.

Offenberg is one of two returning SGA cabinet members, along with Gabe Schechter ’12, who will be next year’s Treasurer. Liting Cong ’11, next year’s Vice President of Academic Affairs (VPAA), and Graciela Guzman ’11, next year’s Vice President of Student Affair (VPSA), round out the executives, all of whom carefully chose the cabinet nominees.

“Now, I think that the cabinet that Ben [Offenberg], Joanna [DeMars] and I put together will echo on throughout the ages as the best of all time, but I think these guys will come close,” said SGA President Harry Krejsa ’10.

The first confirmed nominee was Elizabeth Maltby ’11 for the position of Administrative Coordinator (AC). Since the AC has to supervise Joint Board, and understand the extensive ins and outs of SGA, Maltby’s extensive experience with student government made her an appealing nominee.

“She was the previous election board chair, she’s seen the inner working of SGA during its most stressful and complicated times, and has lived to tell about it,” said Offenberg of Maltby, who is studying abroad this semester.

Kathy Andersen ’13, a CND Senator who expressed an early interest in working with the SGA, was nominated to replace Schechter as Assistant Treasurer, who will become Treasurer next year.

“She is an incredibly intelligent, and organized, and driven person, and has been a great senator,” Krejsa said. “The Assistant Treasurer is again going to be the youngest member of cabinet, a rising first year like we had last year.”

Que Newbill ’12 accepted the nomination to the post of Student Service Coordinator because of his extensive background community service. Since the position is fairly new, he does not plan on introducing changes to current policy.

“I guess my focus will be more building on Alex Peitz [’10] and everything that she’s done, because she did a really good job and she’s still the current student service coordinator,” Newbill said. “Any recommendation she has is something I’d consider.”

Newbill has been shadowing Peitz since applying to familiarize himself with the inner workings of SGA, and has a thorough understanding of the responsibilities of the Service Coordinator.

The nominee for Films Coordinator is Courtney Sheehan ’11, an independent film studies major who has participated in both the Films Committee and the Cultural Films Committee, has plans to promote greater diversity in SGA Films. Sheehan also hopes to produce frequent extensive reviewing of films for the S&B.

“I have an issue with the fact that the vast majority of the films shown in the last two years by SGA Films have been directed by white American men by an almost embarrassing majority, so I will actively change that ratio,” Sheehan said.

The Concerts Chair nominee, Nic Wilson ’12, like Sheehan, was very involved in his field, having been a part of the Concerts Committee since the beginning of his first year at Grinnell. While he acknowledges the excellent work of his predecessors, he plans to take steps to ensure that younger students involved in Concerts receive the necessary experience to maintain that high standard.

“I’d also like to take advantage of Pioneer Web to get more input from the student body in general, in terms of who Concerts brings to Grinnell,” Wilson said.

Tasha Popkin ’11 will be the All Campus Events Coordinator (ACE) for next year. Popkin could not be reached in time for publication.

All nominations for the SGA cabinet were finalized Wednesday night at this week’s Joint Board.