SGA responds to possibility of Associate Director of Student Activities

By Mayo Sueta

suetamay@grinnell.edu

On August 17, Grinnell College posted a job offer for the Associate Director of Student Activities on its LinkedIn page. The job description of the post states that “The Associate Director of Student Activities is a student-centered educator that supports the co-curricular experience of our students and student leaders. The Associate Director will advise major student-directed organizations that govern the student activity fee’s usage, and will supervise key student-directed spaces (a café and pub). Through developing and maintaining a more robust club and organization program, the Associate Director will contribute to the growth and leadership development of student leaders and their advisors.”

On the possibility of the new position and the changes it could bring, Riley Murphy, Student Government Association (SGA) Vice President of Academic Affairs, said, “I think the biggest thing for … the SGA cabinet is that our plan is to get more information first. We definitely do not know enough to formulate a plan.”

Murphy says that planning for potential changes has taken time that he would otherwise have liked to use on “reaching out to students … [and] setting up meetings with administrators to talk about the issues that students have brought to [him] and that [he has] seen among the student body.”

Quinn Ercolani, SGA Treasurer, says that SGA is focused on communicating with the College and getting access to more information concerning the possibility of the new position.

“We believe in clear and efficient communication lines between SGA and administration because otherwise if we operate on information that’s not correct it both looks bad and is bad,” he said. “So we try and get as much information as we can.”

Ercolani also expressed concern that SGA was not as involved as they wanted to be, in the discussion of the possibility of an Associate Director of Student Activities.

“We’re not happy with the fact that we were not included in the discussion as much as we feel we should have been,” Ercolani said. “When we left, last year, we were told that the position was being considered, and then when we get back this year, they’re interviewing candidates. We would have liked to have been involved a little bit more.”

However, despite this, SGA is taking action to ensure that they are ready for the potential changes that may come with this possible new position.

“We have meetings set up, and we have many more meetings to set up,” Murphy said. “There are a lot of voices that go into a decision this big, and we’re going to make sure that students are one of those voices.”