Smoking increases patrols

You just have to follow your nose,' says Campus Security officer Russ Motta as he points to the evidence that he sniffed out: a burned mark on Cleveland's exterior and culprit cigarette above it. - Sophie Fajardo
Persistent smoking in Cleveland Hall has led Campus Security to enforce new measures in hope that students in South Campus dormitories will abide by the Iowa Smoke-Free Air Act of 2008, which bans smoking at workplaces in Iowa.

The bill specifically disallows smoking on «school grounds, including parking lots, athletic fields, playgrounds, tennis courts and any other outdoor area under control of a public or private educational facility.» As a private educational facility, Grinnell College is supposed to be 100 percent smoke-free.

Last Thursday, Assistant Dean of Students and director of Residence Life and Orientation Andrea Conner and Director of Campus Security Stephen Briscoe issued a statement that was sent out to all residents of Cleveland, informing the students that campus security representatives will be patrolling to see that no one is smoking within the campus dorm.

“The increased patrols are an unfortunate reality—we did not want it to get to this, but there are too many repeat-offenders,” Conner said.

Throughout the night, Campus Security dispatches officers to patrol the South Campus loggia. With the new patrolling in Cleveland, officers will be walking throughout the building to make sure no one is smoking.

While the Campus Security may not fine the smokers with monetary penalties, smokers will be asked to smoke in the designated smoking areas—in other words, public sidewalks. In addition, those caught smoking will also be reported to the Judicial Council (Judco) for a “follow up,” according to the e-mail by Conner and Briscoe.

The Iowa Smoke-Free Air Act is not the sole incentive the college has in making sure the
campus is smoke-free. Many workers’ contracts entitle them to a smoke-free environment. Without the smoke-free environment, workers can potentially file complaints and grievances.

Furthermore, many students and staff in Jamaland have filed complaints regarding the smoking issues through out the semester, according to Resident Life Coordinator Eric Vos.
While Conner and Briscoe appear confident that the added security will work, they hope that the Campus Security will not need to go into stricter enforcement. Such enforcement includes refering the student to Judco, but not fees, according to Conner.
“We don’t want to [fine smokers] if we can avoid it,” Conner said.”..Some can afford them, some can not.”

Meanwhile, students in Cleveland do not feel there is a difference in patroling, according to Cleveland SA Winnie Mulumba ’12. “I personally have not seen any changes, nor felt anything,” she said.