Students Speak: What did students do over fall break?

“I went to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It was in Tennessee and North Carolina. I hiked and camped. It was fun.” —Dennis Chan ’19

What kinds of shenanigans did Grinnellians get into over fall break? The S&B’s Mayo Sueta asked students in JRC and Noyce to share how they spent their break, from celebrating Diwali to hiking in National Parks to kicking back in Grinnell. Photos by Mai Phuong Vu.

“I visited my sister in Denison University Columbus and we drove to New Jersey from there. We celebrated Diwali, which is my Hindu festival, with family. I have cousins and an aunt and uncle in New Jersey. I also went to New York for a day and I shopped. I didn’t want to come back to Grinnell after that.”
—Indira Kapur ’20
“I’m from Grinnell so I stayed here. I went back home — the two blocks home — and I hung out with my dog and I watched a lot of ‘Friends’ on Netflix and I worked at McNally’s. … I just kinda wasted my break away.”
—Kate Menner ’18

“I went around … southern Utah with some friends …[and] drove to Arches National Park. We then drove to Bryce Canyon so we hiked and camped for two nights at each place. Hiked around, took lots of photos. We arrived [back in Grinnell] eight hours later than planned … [because] half way back through Colorado there was a snow storm and we got stuck.”
—Luo Yang ’20
“I went to D.C and then to New York, really just to go clubbing. I just traveled and I got to see a lot of my friends from back home. It wasn’t nice to travel actually. … It took like seven hours to get to where we were going, for each state. We [could have gone] to [a] whole … different country for that same amount.”
­—Adobea Williams ’18

“I went to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It was in Tennessee and North Carolina. I hiked and camped. It was fun.”
—Dennis Chan ’19
“I was sleeping and then I partied with friends a little bit. I went to go see ‘Blade Runner’ with a friend. … I worked at Kistle … I did some homework and some internship searching and resume stuff. The last four days I went on a trip around Iowa for my exhibition seminar.”
—Moises Herrera ’19