Lonnski’s to reappear with a bang

Even though Jimbo’s is gone, another familiar eatery will be taking its old address: Lonnski’s. Due to an unsound floor structure, Lonn Lease, owner of Lonnski’s, has been searching for another location for the past few years in fear of having to shut down. The departure of Jimbo’s has served as an opportunity for Lonnski’s.
Luckily, Lonn Lease had plenty of connections in arranging the deal to take over the space. Lonnski’s employees who have worked there since it opened in June 2006 have volunteered to help move all the equipment.
According to Emily Summers ’10, an employee at Lonnski’s, there will be some remodeling besides revamping the menu, including making the business handicap accessible.
“Jimbo’s didn’t have a completely finished bar, so they are going to refurbish the bar and make it better suited for what Lonnski’s needs as a pub and deli,” said Summers.
Though the move may be good for business, Summers cannot deny her admiration for Lonski’s current back alley digs.
“I really love the space that Lonnski’s is in right now. I think it’s a very quaint, unique space to have a bar,” Summers said. “Not a lot of people know about Lonnski’s. It’s kind of a secret club. But I think it’ll be great for business. They’ll have a bigger space.”
However, employee Carly Kruse ’10 knows that logic often wins over sentiment in the business world.
“We’re all really excited,” Kruse said. “It will be better suited for what Lonnski’s needs as a pub and bar. The space will be a lot more productive and effective in order for Lonnski’s to expand.”
Some Grinnell students seem to be unenthused by the news of Lonnski’s new location, instead seeing more important changes that should be addressed
Michael Sawula ’12 seems to be preoccupied with the absence of Jimbo’s than with the arrival of Lonnski’s into the pizzeria’s old venue.
“I think if they delivered that would be useful,” Sawula said.
Additionally, Vardges Khachatryan ’12 sees the need for an appetizing change along with the location change.
“Their menu was ‘meh’. I hope it gets better,” Khachatryan said.
The Pub and Deli, if all goes according to plan, should be reopen in the new space by New Years Eve so that students will be able to check out its new setting upon their return from Winter Break in late January.