GRMC hosts annual Blue Jean Ball, social event of the year

Everyone boogied all night at the Blue Jean Ball.

Last Saturday, Grinnell Regional Medical Center (GRMC) celebrated its 50th anniversary in style.

For the fourth time since 2011, the local hospital threw an appropriately-named Blue Jean Ball fundraiser. About 225 adult attendees swapped out their dusty gowns, tuxes and glass slippers in favor of funky (and much more dance-friendly) denim. Once there, they moved and grooved to a live band featuring everything from 80s hits to hip-hop and beyond, all night long until the clock struck 12 a.m.

Although the highly-anticipated community event has traditionally been held every other year, this year brought in a new element — its first time outdoors. GRMC took advantage of the large, open outdoor space at the Fairgrounds.

“Everybody seemed to enjoy the change in location and the really great weather. … It couldn’t have been more of a perfect summer evening,” said Heidi Pearson, GRMC’s Communication and Development Specialist, who helped organize and execute the event.

In addition to the cost of admission, an auction was set up at the Ball.

“We had final auction items for people to bid on, live auction items, [including local artwork and donations from local restaurants and businesses] and raffles,” Pearson said. “All those efforts went to raise money to purchase new medical wellness equipment, such as vital sign machines, telemedicine equipment, exercise equipment and other wellness equipment.”

Molly Campe, Jordan Esbrook, Nikki Laug and Mary Lindberg enjoyed a night out at GRMC’s 50th Anniversary Blue Jean Ball celebration. Photo contributed.

Pearson attributed much of the night’s success to the plethora of enthusiastic and well-trained volunteers and partner organizations alike that helped make the event possible.

“Celebrating our 50th anniversary really is a collaborative effort. …We have so many volunteers, mostly people who have been a huge part of GRMC over the years,” Pearson said. “We wouldn’t be where we are today without them.”