Get their Autographs

What would you create if given the freedom and resources to express yourself using any artistic medium? Your project would probably fit right in at the Hybrid Media exhibit currently hosted by Smith Gallery (located left of the Dining Hall entrance).
Students enrolled in ART 310 – Advanced Studio: Hybrid Media designed the collection of works, working under the guidance of Matthew Kluber, Art. Hybrid media is an ambiguous style of art. The students can utilize any combination of artistic media—paint, photography, stains, paper mache, wire, pencil or even fire—to construct a variety of pieces.
“The class is designed to introduce students to contemporary studio practice and the full range of artistic order,” Kluber said. The class also encourages students to experiment with artistic styles they are less familiar with.
“Hybrid media requires taking all types of art media and working with their interactions,” said Ashley Baccam’10, a student in the class. Baccam’s project series, “Liquid and Smoke,” includes a painting adhered to the windows near the south entrance of the JRC.
Once inside Smith Gallery, visitors will notice the stop-picture animation “Excerpt from Portals” by Lindsey Walter ’11, which draws viewers through a digital voyage.
“All the photos were taken on campus—Reed Pit, High street and the Lutheran church behind Loose,” Walter said. Walter notes that this project is still in progress and may even be turned into tiles eventually.
Camille Bonham ’10 created a project series called “Rescue Games” that emphasizes the importance of responding lightly to calamity. “Shit happens and it’s only worth talking with those who can joke about it,” Bonham said.
During the instillation’s opening on Wednesday, Nov. 11, Bonham asked visitors to burn small folded paper houses and then pin them up on a sheet of Styrofoam-like material.
Bonham’s work is a prime example of hybrid media because it uses community as a medium for creating the art. “The viewer becomes part maker,” Kluber said. In this style explicitly, and arguably in art in general, those who will ultimately see a work inherently take an active role in it.
The exhibition will be held in Smith Gallery through this weekend.