Women’s golf breaks records again

rusevero@grinnell.edu

The eight members of Grinnell’s Women’s golf team started off the season strong, winning their first two games, and in last week’s home game against William Penn University, even breaking the school record.

“[We broke the record] by one shot, but yeah we broke the school record,” said golfer Anisha Agarwalla ’19. “I had my Grinnell career best this weekend as well, so that was good.”

Co-captains and twins Vidushi Sinah ’19 and Vrishali Sinha ’19 have been shooting the team to victory. Vidushi won the home game tournament, while Vrishali placed first at the team’s first game of the season at the Mount Mercy Early Bird Classic. They hope the team can continue their winning momentum in their upcoming game at the Wartburg College Invitational.

“I think Wartburg is going to be the toughest competition we’ve had so far this season, so it’s going to be interesting to see how we place,” said Vrishali.  “But I think our team is in good shape right now. I think it’s the best shape we’ve been in.”

The players also talked about their goals for the upcoming season, both for the team and individually.

“Golf is kind of an individual sport. … We’ve all kind of got our own goals going into the season, but just playing the best we can is the goal. We’ve won [Midwest] Conference the past four years in a row now, so we’re hoping to keep that streak up,” added Sam Hengst ’18.

Other team members view the individual aspect of golf as one of the main attractions to the sport as it forces a player to carefully consider each alteration she makes.

“There’s so much intricacy to the game and so much precision that’s required,” Agawalla said. “There’s a new challenge every time you play. Your body is not the same as it was yesterday. There’s something you did differently the next day and you have to make an adjustment. I don’t know whether I’d say I like the unpredictability, but I like the challenge that comes with it.”

Other golfers feel that the game challenges them not only physically but mentally as well. While other sports may require sprinting or heavy lifting, Sam Hengst believes golf is a mental game more than anything.

“You don’t need to be broad and tough,” said Hengst. “We still have muscles, we still work out to keep yourself in shape for the season because that can affect your distances, but it’s a mental game for sure. … It’s a different kind of endurance.” 

Though many may dismiss golf as a resort sport with a slow pace, many of Grinnell’s women golfers consider the course a place for both focus and relaxation.

“I really like it because I feel that the course is a place where I can distress,” said Vidushi. “It’s a place away from all the pressure of studying and maintaining your grades. I just feel really content when I’m playing. It’s kind of an escape for me, and I love it.”