First-ever Grinnell Tickle City Award winner named

I’m not on campus all of the time anymore and am a little out of the loop, so remember to notify [walshand] if you have a good idea for a potential winner of the Tickle City Award. For example, I haven’t been in the dining hall once this semester so I’m interested in some of the big changes that have been made. I’m especially curious if the new Cereal Station located east of the Vegan Station truly allows for a “convenient, natural flow of operation for cereal” as the Marketplace Messenger reports. I always used to tell people that the awkward, twisted old flow often ruined my dining hall cereal experience. There’s also been a lot of buzz surrounding the new spice rack between the stir-fry and vegan station. If these food-related things or anything else on campus is looking especially ticklish to you, be sure to let me know.

For now, though, I’ll stick to things with which I do have some familiarity. The “Grinnell in Grinnell: 150 Years Celebration,” for one, has been getting a decent amount of press lately. The coverage to this point, however, has focused on the deeper significance of the relationship between college and community over a century and a half, while ignoring the important fact that you can win ticklish stuff.

The celebration has a train ticket theme, and all participants will receive their own Grinnell in Grinnell Train Ticket to get stamped at the different events. Individuals who attend five events, including two on campus and two in town, will receive a free tote bag and be entered in a ticklish grand prize drawing.

Some of the events look pretty ticklish as well. On October 3, there will be a Taste of Grinnell event that is anticipated to compete with the Taste of Chicago food festival held in Grant Park every July. Held in downtown Grinnell, Taste of Grinnell will feature Grinnell’s diverse selection of cuisines, including local and ethnic foods. I still haven’t received an answer, however, as to whether it will rival Taste of Chicago’s entertainment lineup, which in the past has included Carlos Santana, Counting Crows and Stevie Wonder, or its attendance of over 3.5 million people. I guess we’ll just have to wait to find out.

Grinnell in Grinnell: 150 Years, you are tickle city!

In a similar vein, it’s rumored that preliminary plans are being made for this spring’s “Lyle’s Pub in Grinnell: Two Years Celebration” which will honor the two years that Lyle’s Pub has existed on the campus of Grinnell College, dating way back to its opening in February 2008. The celebration will provide a chance to reflect on the connections between the pub and the college over the hundreds of days they have been together.

The events committee chose a beer theme to mark the celebration because, for many people, beer has always been a staple of Lyle’s Pub throughout its storied history. As one of the official events, participants of legal age who attend the celebration will receive the opportunity to purchase beer, possibly at specially discounted rates depending on the time or day.

In the meantime, Lyle’s held its ticklish fall semester opening earlier in September, and the establishment has always been known to serve up live music from a variety of artists, karaoke and trivia nights and twenty-five cent Natural Ice or Light on Thursdays. This year should prove to be no different, and we expect Lyle’s to have a few new ticklish surprises for us along the way.

Lyle’s Pub, you are tickle city!