Eco House hosts menstrual craft workshop

Participants at the workshop prepared alternative menstrual products, which are more budget- and environmentally-friendly. Photo by Leina’ala Voss.

LILY BOHLKE, Copy Editor
bohkleli@grinnell.edu

Participants at the workshop prepared alternative menstrual products, which are more budget- and environmentally-friendly. Photo by Leina'ala Voss.
Participants at the workshop prepared alternative menstrual products, which are more budget- and environmentally-friendly.
Photo by Leina’ala Voss.

The average menstruater uses more than 17,000 pads or tampons in their lifetime. At the cost of around 10 dollars per box of tampons, these disposable menstrual products get expensive and then get flushed down toilets. To present an alternative to disposable products, Eco House teamed up with Residence Life Coordinator Ashley Phipps to host a Fabric Pad Sewing Workshop on Wednesday night at 7:30 p.m. in JRC 202.

This workshop is a follow-up of an alternative menstrual product workshop held last semester, amid student interest in homemade cloth pads displayed at the workshop.

“I like alternative menstrual products because of the cost of disposable ones,” said Ellen Schoenmaker ’17. “That’s not something I want to budget.”

The event was intended to “spread the news about alternative menstrual products.” The turnout affirmed the idea that many people who menstruate at Grinnell are interested in eco-friendly, cost-efficient menstrual products.

“I’ve been planning on [making fabric pads] actually because I have sewing materials, but I was like, ‘Oh, it’d be cool to chat with other people who are sort of interested in the same thing,’” Schoenmaker said. “There’s sort of this taboo of reusing something that’s touched the feminine unclean blood.”

Alternative products were also made in consideration of the environmental and financial costs of continually purchasing these items.

“Even if you find ultimately that fabric pads aren’t for you, it’s good to try them out because they can make a big different in your life and for the environment,” said Milli Zonarich ’17.

At the workshop it was explained that cloth pads, along with other alternative menstrual products such as menstrual cups, are generally good for health reasons, for the environment and for student budgets. Cloth pads are natural, they are not wasteful and they don’t require monthly expensive visits to the drugstore, Zonarich noted. For many people who menstruate, including myself, this sounds great.

When I first walked into JRC 202, I was greeted by people who menstruate sitting around a full table, cutting out pad-shaped patterns. The table was strewn with different colored threads, a tomato pin cushion (I overheard a debate about whether it was truly a tomato or rather a pumpkin), scissors, an iron, Fruit Smiles and fabrics of different patterns including unicorns, penguins, monsters, pigs and my personal favorite, sharks.

I picked up a pattern and some shark fabric and got to work cutting out my pattern pieces and starting to sew my pad. Conversation about periods, alternative menstrual products and an occasional “Ouch!” filled the room along with conversations about how the college should supply free menstrual products as long as free condoms long are provided.

With space to insert as much material as needed based on my blood flow on any given month, by the end of the workshop I had created an effective and efficient alternative menstrual product which I’ll be sure to try out the next time I get my period. I did accidentally sew part of my pad with the sharks facing inside and my stitching could be neater, but then again, I’m the only person who needs to appreciate the aesthetic of my menstrual products.