Letter to the Editor: 10/10 Organizers Offer Advice for Festivities

letter to the editor graphic

If you checked your mailbox today you might have noticed that there was a red wristband. These wristbands are given out to all students as a way of identifying Grinnell students at the all-campus party known as 10/10. If you don’t think you are going to attend the party, put the wristband in the designated box in the mailroom. If you are, WEAR THE WRISTBAND TO 10/10! For students 21 or older, get a wristband from the people selling 10/10 shirts today or tomorrow.
This year marks the 16th year of the wonderful Grinnellian tradition, 10/10. 10/10 has a history of being a great time for Grinnellians to enjoy the fall and come together as a campus community. That being said, 10/10 IS A PRIVILEGE. As participants in the larger Grinnell community, we are expected to take responsibility for our own actions, and look out for the actions and well-beings of others. This celebration of unity has been able to thrive due to our students’ commitment to self-govern this party. There have been problems in the past including high-risk drinking and damage to property, and we need everyone to work together to ensure the future of many wonderful 10/10s to come.
We’ve spoken with Captain Peterson of the Grinnell Police Department and discussed how we can best work with the GPD to make this a fun and safe night for everyone. Please be aware that police will be patrolling the areas surrounding campus, but they will remain in public areas unless a situation arises that would bring them onto campus. If an officer sees a violation or you draw attention to yourself by breaking state and local laws, officers will deal with the situation. As such, students should be keenly aware of their behavior, especially near public areas such as 8th Avenue, Park and East Streets. We can’t emphasize this last point enough—don’t cross streets with open containers. And please be friendly and respectful to Security, GPD, RLCs and ACES—they’re there to keep everyone safe.
Don’t pregame! There’s plenty for everyone, and we ask that you not bring your own alcohol. Be an active bystander, check in with your friends throughout the night and be respectful of the property of others. Please don’t set off any fireworks, as they can be dangerous and could cause the police to step in. We hope that everyone is excited for a safe and enjoyable night, and we can’t wait to spend the evening with you all. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us.

Cheers,
The Organizers

[hellerre1] [robinson4] [dolematt]