Black Kids Do Radio Too has personality

Battle and Weaver often feature guest stars. Photo by Sydney Hamamoto

Ian Malone

maloneia@grinnell.edu

While most KDIC shows focus around a certain type of music, either genre or time period, “Black Kids Do Radio Too” seems to be centered on the two hosts, Hameed Weaver ’17 and Ty Battle ’18.

“We kind of a think of it as a show with no concept,” Weaver said.

“I would describe it as a morning show that takes place at night,” Battle said. “We play [mostly hip hop] music, interview guests and kind of just talk.”

The radio show was started in a very organic manner, according to Weaver.

“I had the idea over the summer, and thought it could be great … I talked to [Battle] and we kind of just started the show,” Weaver said.

The pair was initially unsure about exactly what the week-to-week content of the show would be, but as they continued to broadcast, their niche soon became clearer. They created a very freeform radio program that features music, guest stars and, most prominently, the two hosts.

Recent guests include Yesenia Ayala ’18, who discussed her work with the Latino education organization, Al Éxito. However, the hosts are not necessarily looking for an individual with an apparent story to tell. Battle and Weaver recently ran a social media contest to take a selfie with one of their numerous posters, where the winner was awarded a guest appearance on the show, an order of mozzarella sticks from the Grill and “a cool prize.”

Guest appearances aside, “Black Kids Do Radio Too” is ultimately driven by the men behind the mic. Battle and Weaver believe that their respective personalities complement each other very well, which is partially responsible for the success of their show.

“I think that [Weaver] brings a lot of enthusiasm and energy and I’m a bit more chill,” Battle said.

Battle also acknowledged that Weaver has more knowledge of the so-called “industry.”

“Not to call KDIC an industry, but I think he definitely knows more about how things work,” Battle said.

As for the future of their show, the pair is mostly content with its current form.

“I might like to have an afternoon show, because that’s … when a lot of people listen to the radio. Of course, that will be a bigger time commitment,” Weaver said.

Weaver alluded to some surprises that have yet to be revealed.

“I have some cool [things] planned for the show, and I’m excited about what we’re doing this year,” Weaver said.

“Black Kids Do Radio Too” broadcasts on Thursday nights from 11 p.m. to midnight on KDIC 88.5. Tune in to hear their unique on-air personalities and surprise guest appearances.