Orgasms and Abstinence

Orgasms and Abstinence

Column by SHIC
Advice from SHIC

Dear SHIC,
I was wondering if you guys have any idea how I can spice things up in my sex life. I’ve read online about how to “induce” orgasm, but I feel there are a lot of myths around about erogenous zones. I want to know what works!
Sincerely,
Romantic Rick

Dearest Rick,
You ready for this comprehensive list? Here we go.
1. Lips. Not those ones, silly, well… why not? How could we forget these suckers? SHIC thinks mouth-to-mouth contact sometimes gets rushed. Try taking it slow.
2. Feet. Both men and women love foot massages. Massaging of the feet is believed to relieve pressure points and stimulate sexual arousal.
3. Abs/Mons. Why not try gently caressing or tantalizing your partner with your deceptive hand movements? (Where do you think you’re going, mister?)
4. Neck. Try using gentle touches on the neck and allow your partner to imagine the seductive brushing motion of your lips.
5. Inner thighs and Bottom. The gift wrapping to the package!
6. Head. Not that one, silly, well… why not? Head massages are relaxing, and eyelid and forehead stimulation can be relaxing ways to show your… loving side. Hair and the scalp are also very responsive to stimulation.
7. Perenium. In both males (prostate) and females (perennial sponge) which are the areas between the anus and the genitals just waiting to be explored!
8. A, P, and U-Spots. You may have heard about the G-spot, but how about the A, P and U-spots? A-between the g-spot and the cervix. P-the prostate gland of men, and U-the area around the urethral region contains many sensitive nerve endings.
9. Knees. Surprised? You probably shouldn’t be. The back of the knee is surprisingly sensitive.
10. The Mind. Yes. The human mind can do amazing things. Use it to your advantage, but hypnosis is not consensual, yo.
There are so many parts of the body that have so much untouched potential that we encourage you to explore your partners’ bodies (safely of course). SHIC suggests you take it slow and survey the playground. Whether it be a gentle back and chest massage or a more “in-depth” procedure, think of your and your partner’s bodies as a totally erogenous landscape.
Love,
SHIC

Dear SHIC,
I’m a fourth year student and just wanted to make it known that college life doesn’t have to include sex. It hasn’t for me and I’m perfectly content and comfortable! I appreciate all that you do, but am curious to know of SHIC’s sentiment on abstinence. After all, you are the Sexual Health Information Center.
Best,
Curious Observer

Dear Curious,
Thank you for reaching out to us with this question! We’re very happy to address it!
Indeed, our name can create a certain stigma around campus. We sell condoms and sex toys on the regular and have mountains of pamphlets on safe sexual encounters. By our own admission, we work mostly with those curious about or engaging in sexual activity. We love what we do to ensure that tools for safe sex practices and confidential sexual education are accessible on campus, but this should never manifest into a notion that SHIC doesn’t acknowledge, if not embrace, the practice of abstinence on campus.
Bearing in mind that we share a campus with a student body that possesses a multitude of personal values and ideals, SHIC stands for any means of attaining personal comfort and well-being. Sex, or lack thereof, is an act of self-expression that is unique to each person on the planet. We encourage you to be YOU and absolutely nothing more. Truly. And if you find yourself in a situation that takes you well outside of your comfort zone, please be honest with yourself—only you know your needs. Our educators are always available to help get that conversation started. We encourage you to come visit us sometime to further chat, whether or not it’s related to sex. We are located on South Campus, Main First. Our educators look very much forward to seeing and/or hearing from you.
Love,
SHIC