Grinnell Review to hold reading

As the semester draws to a close, so do many student projects and publications, including Grinnell’s fine arts and literary magazine, The Grinnell Review.

This semester, the editors of The Grinnell Review, Silvia Foster-Frau, Hannah Bernard, Geo Gomez and Maria Shevelkina, all ’15, worked to include a diverse range of art and writing in the publication.

“We just tried to make it, at least on the arts side, … a lot of different types of artwork. Like in the past, some years have been very heavy on photography or very heavy on drawings, and we just tried to … include a range of student work,” Bernard said.

The writing submissions typically include poetry, short stories, excerpts and translations. The writing committee received unique submissions this semester, which will help give the issue variety.

“We definitely would prioritize some works over others just because they were different or they stood out to us in some ways. A lot of times we don’t get, for example, a lot of surreal writing or more like magical/fantasy type, so we definitely tried to include that more in this issue than we did before,” Foster-Frau said.

The Grinnell Review will be hosting a presentation of the work published in this semester’s issue during finals week, where the student artists will share about their work.

“I think it’s a really unique way … for art and writing people to be able to share with a broader audience all of their work. For people who are in art and writing classes, you obviously critique as you go while you’re making these things, but rarely do you get a platform to share it with a group of people who you don’t know or aren’t in your classes,” Bernard said.

“It’s a good way to understand the work deeper than just flipping through [the print journal]. And also it’s good practice if you are the artist to be presenting your work,” Foster-Frau added.

The editors will also announce next semester’s editorial staff during the reading.