Frankie Teardrop and Warren Terror drop fire in Gardner

On Friday, April 3 Frankie Teardrop and Warren Terror welcomed students back to campus after a much needed Spring Break with a head-banging concert that ended too soon for most Grinnellians. As with most Gardner concerts, the space was dark except for the purple, glowing lights, which really set the mood for the indie rock sounds Frankie Teardrop and Warren Terror were bringing. With a short but sweet concert, Frankie Teardrop and Warren Terror helped the Grinnell student body get the weekend off to a good start in one of the most unforgettable concerts of the semester so far.

The opening band explored and experimented with lo-fi pop music and several really loud guitars, which indubitably helped the crowd get excited and grow throughout the night. The musicians were so great that the crowd tripled in size between the opener and Frankie T’s performance.

Frankie T’s presence on campus was largely characterized by his larger-than-life personality and his signature look: tall-tees, iconic Ray-Bans and his gold chain. But the entire band was on fleek, with their East Village aesthetics. With Frankie T on guitar and voice, Dan E on guitar, Jack W on bass and Joey F on drum, the clique proved to entertain Grinnellians on Friday night. While Grinnellians never really have a problem letting off some steam on the weekends this concert was definitely a space for stress relief as several students were dancing the night away without a care in the world.

In spite of the lo-fi sound quality, Frankie Teardrop brought it hard and did not disappoint the Grinnell crowd. Frankie T managed to crack some jokes in between sets and recounted purposely mispronouncing Nirvana as “Nivrana” and his real-life accounts of finding places to piss in New York City.  The humorous aspects of the concert added to an overall sense of community among the party goers in attendance.

In addition to Frankie T’s jokes being on point throughout the night, he brought even more excitement as he dove into the crowd to play guitar solos more than once, clearly hyping up the students and making them go wild.

After the show, Frankie T appeared in the 88.5 KDIC show, Exit 182, with Jarzyna, Halley Freger ’17 and Ellen Schneider ’17 in which they played a lot of “Nivrana”.

The indie-rock bands proved themselves to Grinnellians and although mosh-pits formed throughout the concert, a seemingly popular trend during Gardner concerts this semester, at least there were no casualties as far as ceiling tiles go.