Track and field begins season

Last Saturday, Grinnell’s men’s and women’s track and field teams started their season with a meet at Central College in Pella, Iowa. Only four athletes, three men and one woman, traveled to the meet, as it took place so early in the season that the team as a whole was not yet ready to start competing. Those who did compete, however, gained valuable experience.

“We don’t have that many competitions throughout the season,” said Head Coach Evelyn Freeman. “We want to make the most of the opportunity as far as growth and learning.”

Eloise Miller ’15 competed in the long jump, where she placed second with an effort of 16-5 ¼ and in the triple jump, which she won with a leap of 35-1. While this is an impressive start, Miller only foresees improvement as the season progresses.

“I would have liked to jump a little bit further, but I was really working on technique, and my approach,” Miller said.

One technique that she worked on for during the meet was executing clean jumps, something she has struggled with in the past.

“My approach was really consistent, and that was a big improvement from last season,” Miller said.

Freeman expressed similar sentiment.

“Her jumps weren’t her best, you know, but it’s the first meet of the season. It was very respectable,” Freeman said.

The other athletes, Jonathan Braun ’17, Ed Hardman ’16 and Luis Hernandez ’15 all competed in sprints and running events.

“It was less for team performance or even personal records, and more so an introductory meet into the season,” wrote Braun in an email to The S&B.

While none of the runners for the men placed, the meet was a learning experience for them all.

“Every time you have a race, you learn something new,” Freeman said, “You also find out where you’re starting from.”

Both the men and women open this Saturday at Cornell College, with races starting at 10 a.m.