Trustees hold fall session

The Grinnell College Board of Trustees  began its first meeting of the 2014-2015 academic year on Oct. 9 and will remain on campus through Oct. 11. In addition to hearing from President Raynard Kington and Dean of the College Michael Latham, the Board will welcome new Trustee members, review bachelor’s degree candidates who anticipate graduating at the end of the fall 2014 semester and learn about the upcoming Board assessment process to be conducted by RYAN Consulting Group.

In addition to moderating Board appointments to Standing Committees and hearing presentations given by the leaders of SGA and faculty members, the Board will attend receptions with the 2014 Grinnell Prize winners and members of various student organizations on campus. Trustees will also have the chance to learn about the 2018 class from Joe Bagnoli, Vice President for Enrollment. On Thursday, students had the opportunity to meet with Trustees to learn more about their career paths and interests on the second floor of the JRC.

Trustees discuss career fields with students

Trustees - John BradyOn Thursday, Oct. 9, Grinnell’s Board of Trustees arrived for its formal fall session and the first of three annual meetings. Later that evening, students were invited to attend a career session where they were able to discuss different fields of interest with trustees who are currently working or previously worked in these fields. Topics ranged from entrepreneurship to medicine to nonprofit/leadership, and tables were set up according to these topics, with a handful of trustees at each table. Student Government Association (SGA) organized this session to give all students a chance to network with trustees, as most events to follow are typically not open to the entire student body. SGA hoped that students would come with specific questions in mind to make the most of the event. The session was held from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. on the second floor of the Joe Rosenfield Center.

Compiled by Yishi Liang and John Brady (both ’16)