Ask SHIC: What does Plan B do, and how do I have phone sex?

Dear SHIC,

I’ve heard that when you use Plan B, you’re basically aborting a fetus. I’m so on the fence about using this emergency contraception. What’s the deal with Plan B? Also, are there any alternatives to this drug? Help!

Concerned About (Emergency) Contraceptives

Dear Concerned About (Emergency) Contraceptives,

There are many misconceptions regarding Plan B and what it actually does! Plan B is an emergency contraceptive (EC) pill that should be taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse. The drug is less effective after three days, but can work up to five days after unprotected sex. The active ingredient in the pill is levonorgestrel, which is normally found in most regular birth control pills in lower amounts. Plan B works like other birth control pills to prevent pregnancy by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary, and it may prevent a sperm from fertilizing the egg. In the case of fertilization, Plan B may prevent the egg from attaching to the womb. However, if fertilization has already occurred, Plan B will not work and the pregnancy will continue normally. As you can see, Plan B does not interfere with pregnancy, and is used for preventative measures. Plan B is not the same as RU-486, more commonly known as Mifeprex, which is a prescription drug for medical abortions.

Ella is another type of emergency contraceptive. It is just as effective on the fifth day as it is on the first, unlike Plan B. Ella is different from Plan B in that it acts to suppress progesterone instead of containing progestin. So, ovulation is delayed, allowing the sperm to die before an egg is released. Ella can also thin the lining of the uterus, making it difficult for a fertilized egg to be implanted. While Ella is not available in Grinnell, it can be ordered online and shipped to you within 24 hours! Just FYI, there have been clinical trials that suggest that levonorgestrel-based EC (like Plan B) is less effective than using other forms of EC like copper IUDs and Ella for women with a BMI of 26 or over.

Remember that these pills should not be used in place of birth control, and they don’t protect you from STIs!

Be smart and have fun,

[SHIC]

Dear SHIC,

I’m currently in a long distance relationship. Not seeing each other for long periods of time can make things a little hard … if you know what I mean. To hold us over until our next visit, we always toy around with the idea of phone sex. But, I never know what to do and end up sounding stupid.

Any advice?

Banana Phone

Dear Banana Phone,

Well, you’re definitely on the right path! Phone sex is a great way to ease the tension and maintain the connection (not literally, of course)! Once you get over the initial awkwardness, phone sex can be a lot of fun and a new way to spice things up.

Phone sex isn’t as tricky as you might think. You might want to start by sharing your erotic desires for the other person. Sometimes in long distance, the other person can forget that you need and want him/her. Everyone wants to feel desired in a relationship, so, expressing your desire might be a good way to break the ice and get the ball rolling.

You can also set the mood before you get on the phone, too. Fantasize about the other person, send a few flirty texts or even send some raunchy Snapchats. Think of this as phone foreplay.

Once things get started, you could say step-by-step what you wish you were doing to him/her or what you want done to you. Be careful not to sound too instructional or formal. Things like, “Please insert your penis into my vagina” can kill the mood. You don’t have to sound like a pornstar, but be creative!

Remember, just because you’re not physically together, doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be any action. Try upping the erotic ante by masturbating. Explain what you’re doing to yourself and how it’s feeling. This will definitely intensify things!

Lastly, just be you! Talk to your partner as if he/she were with you. Relax and just let things flow naturally.

TTYL,

[SHIC]