Letter to the Editor: From: CLS, To: Fourth Years

Dear Members of the Class of 2014:

How are you feeling?

With Commencement just three months away (!), we know that some of you are looking forward to your post-Grinnell futures with excitement, enthusiasm and optimism. Grinnell has prepared you well for the real world and you are ready to move forward with your lives, using your education and your skills and talents productively, meaningfully and purposefully.

But others of you may be trying to avoid the reality, which, frankly, might feel a bit intimidating. We understand! For you, we have a simple message: Be not afraid! The Center for Careers, Life, and Service (CLS) is here for you.

Five key folks in the CLS are ready and waiting to chat with you about your concerns and your plans for the future. Simply call the CLS (269-4940) to set up an appointment with whoever resonates most directly with your needs:

• Doug Cutchins ’93 is happy to meet and talk with seniors about post-graduate service opportunities, including Lutheran Volunteer Corps, Peace Corps and more.

• Maureen Fitzgibbon would love to talk with seniors who are looking for jobs in any industry; she can also offer networking strategies and help prepare you to shine during interviews.

• Kelly Guilbeau always enjoys talking with seniors who are seeking clarity in their post-Grinnell directions.

• Steve Gump is always excited to talk with seniors who are thinking about enrolling in graduate or professional school later this year or at any time in the future.

• Ashley Schaefer is thrilled to talk with seniors about jobs in the education professions.

Any of us—plus Megan Crawford, Susan Sanning and our team of CLS interns—would also be happy to help you polish your résumé and craft compelling cover letters as you apply for jobs and other post-graduate ventures.

Pay heed, as well, to the weekly CLS Newsletter, which arrives in your email inbox on Fridays and details upcoming workshops, newly posted jobs and opportunities in Grinnell’s online database (PioneerLink) and upcoming recruiter presentations and interview opportunities. Recruiters frequently come to campus, so you can interact in person with headhunters and admissions representatives from a variety of industries and programs. These opportunities are golden and are not to be missed.

And if you’ve not visited our website recently (www.grinnell.edu/cls), note the robust and constantly evolving material in the “Resources” section.

CLS staff will also be tabling at the JRC between 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. on the following days: Tuesday, March 4; Tuesday, April 1; Wednesday, April 16 and Tuesday, April 29. But don’t wait until later to check in with us! Drop by the CLS—at 1127 Park Street—or call today to set up an appointment. We look forward to seeing you soon.

And remember: Be not afraid! The CLS is here for you.

With best wishes,

Steve Gump, M.B.A., Ph.D.

[gumpstev]

Assistant Director of Graduate and Professional School Advising

Center for Careers, Life, and Service