Senior Issue 2024

Ask SHIC: SHIC clears up myth of getting ‘loose’

Dear SHIC,

Loose Dorm is pretty cool, but I’d rather not be “loose” myself, if you know what I mean. If I have too much sex will my vagina get loose?

Sincerely,

Sexin’ It Up On South

Dear Sexy Southerner,

Let’s try a quick, little experiment (no please don’t take off your pants right now; it’s not that kind of experiment). Okay, so put your pinky fingers in the corners of your mouth and pull towards your ears so you look like the Joker. Now let go. Did your mouth stay stretched out or bounce right back into the same position? Try it again. Try it 100 times. Your mouth isn’t going to change shape as a result of this stretching because your lips are elastic and made for this stuff. The same is true for a vagina. Having penises, dildos, fists, fingers or vibrators repeatedly spend time in a vagina will not change its tightness.

All vaginas vary in shape and tightness (don’t worry, they’re all lovely). A big determinant of vaginal tightness is genetics. Other factors are levels of relaxation and arousal, which is why someone’s vaginal tightness can vary greatly depending on the day, setting, mood, etc. Another important factor is musculature. The pelvic floor muscles (also called PC muscles) located all around the pelvic region can affect how tight or loose a vagina feels. Stronger muscles can create a tighter feel, give people more control over their orgasms and increase orgasm intensity. A common exercise for the PC muscles is called kegels and can be performed and beneficial to people with any genitalia.

This loose vagina thing is commonly associated with slut shaming, too. If a woman has monogamous sex twice a week for five years with her husband, no one says, “damn I bet she has a loose p***y.” But if someone has sex just as often but with multiple partners, sex with her is like “a hotdog down a hallway”?? Let’s all agree to stop saying both of those phrases.

Love, laugh and lube it up,

SHIC

Dear SHIC,

This Polar Vortex has me feeling a bit frigid. How do I spice up my sex life this semester?

Sincerely,

Bland Bangs

Dear Bland,

You have come to the right place. SHIC HAS NEW, FUN PRODUCTS to spice up your sexy time! We re-stocked our vibrating cock rings and—new this semester—have vibrating dildos, vibrators, bondage tape and furry handcuffs. We also have glow-in-the-dark condoms, flavored lube and condoms with some pretty snazzy stud patterns. New products are in limited supply, so stop by soon if you want to level up.

Of course, there are many ways to spice things up in the bedroom (or wherever you happen to be) that require nothing more than some imagination and a willingness to try something new. (Always discuss new dimensions of a sexual relationship with your partner/s and be sure to get continuous, enthusiastic consent.) To get you started, here’s SHIC’s take on a sexy post-Harris schedule for this semester:

2000s Harris (2/1) – Try some cooling or warming lubes to change your climate.

Frank (2/8) – Oppose the sexual norms of 50s—anything but missionary.

Chains (2/15) – You know what to do. Email Safe Sane for information and tips on bondage.

90s (2/22) – 69 in honor of Lewinksygate and pleasure parity.

Mary B. James (3/8) – All of the role play.

Disco (4/12) – The music’s all you need (Marvin Gaye, Barry White, Bee Gees, maybe not the Bee Gees).

ISO Cultural Evening (4/13) – Bust open the Kama Sutra.

Drag Show (4/19) – Shower that glitter off (you really do need help, though).

TitHead (4/26) – Safe simulation of sex tape? Do it in front of a mirror.

Tektonik (5/2) – Wait for a dropped beat as a cue to orgasm.

Spring Waltz (5/3) – Leave some clothes on (dress, tie, etc.).

Play Away,

SHIC

The Sexual Health Information Center is a student-run resource center located on the first floor of Main Hall. SHIC offers confidential one-on-one peer education sessions, peer counseling and sells condoms (lots of cool kinds!), lube, dental dams, pregnancy tests and more (check out our new stock, including bondage tape, vibrators and cock rings!) for affordable prices.

Our spring hours are Monday-Thursday 6 to 10 p.m. and Friday-Sunday 4 to 6 p.m.