Phil Gibbons remembered

Phil Gibbons. Contributed.
Phil Gibbons. Contributed.

Phil Gibbons, 61, a Call-In Cashier in Dining Services, passed away on Tuesday, Nov. 12.

Born on December 22, 1951 in Abington, Pa., Gibbons attended Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania and subsequently traveled before settling in Grinnell. He was married to Jo Gibbons, Development & Alumni Relations.

Gibbons has been working at the College since before the construction of the JRC—he originally worked in the Cowles Dining Hall. As a Call-In Cashier, he worked checking guests into the Dining Hall, earning the nickname “Slow-Swipe Phil” because of his prolonged P-Card swiping technique, which allowed him to make small talk with students.

Gibbons enjoyed his job in Dining Services; his wife remembers him as the “cheery checker.”

Gibbons previously had a long career as a restaurant manager and also held a job with Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Corporation in Des Moines, while working part-time for the College.

Religion was important to Gibbons, as well, as he was involved in St. Mary’s Church in Grinnell.

He is fondly remembered by co-workers and friends.

“I loved when Phil was working; he was always happy to see everyone, wanted to make sure everyone was having a good day and help anyone anyway he could,” said Jeanette Moser, Associate Director of Dining Services. “Phil was a joy to be with.”