Spotlight: Mani Tiwaree

Mani Tiwaree ’14 was born in Nepal before moving to Japan and eventually Thailand, where he currently resides. He has been a member of International Soccer Club (ISC) since his first year at Grinnell and now is ISC’s organizer. ISC meets on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays either on Mac Field or in the auxiliary gym in the Bear.

Mani - Parker Van Nostrand
Mani Tiwaree. Photograph by Parker Van Nostrand

How long has ISC existed on campus? 

I think eight or nine years ago these two Zimbabwean guys founded the club.

What kinds of things do you guys do? 

We pretty much just play pick up soccer. We used to play a lot of outdoor, but Mac Field has gotten pretty horrible and has caused some injuries. So, now we mostly play indoor.

What are the worst injuries that have occurred? 

There’s been a broken shoulder … there’s been a lot of ankle and knee related injuries. These aren’t super severe injuries, but on average we probably have one or two injuries per week. Again, not super severe but enough to keep you from playing for a week.

Why is it called International Soccer Club? 

Well, I’d like to clarify that the word “international” includes America. Soccer is probably the most international sport out there, too.  Different ethnicities are also represented within the club.

Do you play a lot of soccer back home as well? 

I’ve been playing school soccer since I was 11, as well as a lot of recreational and street soccer. I’d say I also play more soccer here than I do back home, since everything is so accessible.

What kind of music do you listen to? 

I listen to a lot of 1970s Bob Dylan. Right now, I’m really addicted to the song “Song to Woody” by Bob Dylan.

What’s the weirdest food you’ve ever had?  

I went to this Nepali restaurant once and they had this Bhutanese dish called “chili and cheese.” It was a soup, and after one scoop of it I became numb. My ears started ringing and [I] could hardly hear anything. It tasted really good, though. I could see how it would taste really good if it were not that spicy. The flavor was there.

Did you go through any phases? 

I went through a time traveling phase. I wanted to make a time machine when I was in sixth or seventh grade because I wanted to be a physicist. I read a lot about time machines and watched almost every documentary on how time traveling is possible in physics. My favorite one was “A Brief History of Time” by Stephen Hawking.

If you could get a tattoo of anything, what would it be? 

The Liverpool football club crest, and it would say, “you will never walk alone.” I’m a very big Liverpool fan.

How similar is living in Thailand to the “Hangover” sequel? 

It could be very similar.  You definitely don’t want to wake up somewhere bizarre in Bangkok.