Speaking out at spoken word night

Adam Levin, known onstage as ‘Defcee,’ will bring his poetry and rap to Herrick Chapel this Friday night. A successful artist and teacher, Levin tries to bring in his life experiences and his thoughts on the world into his pieces. He—like his younger brother Aaron ’14—is originally from River Forest, Ill., but his performing has taken him around the world, from London to Panama to all over the United States. With well-laid beats and clever, insightful lyrics, Levin’s work is simultaneously thought provoking and enjoyable.

Levin graduated from University of Wisconsin’s First Wave program, a special program designed to help aspiring spoken word, hip-hop and rap artists achieve their artistic potential. Levin, alongside fellow artist Lamar Jordan, currently leads a workshop series called Emcee Wreckshop. Levin and Jordan help teach aspiring rappers and poets in Chicago the many elements necessary to both art forms.

“For those who want to learn to rap professionally, come to Wreckshop. For those who like rap as a hobby, come to Wreckshop. There’s something for everyone here,” Levin said.

They teach how to build beats alongside how to craft a narrative or set up stanza structures. Levin and Jordan try to set up a comfortable, welcoming learning environment for the students.

“If it’s your first time at Wreckshop, we have you come up and share something—a poem you’ve found or a rap you’ve written—we want to let everyone see where everyone’s at,” Levin said.

Levin has released a few collections, including his debut album, “One Eye Open,” in 2007,  a mixtape “Out from Under,” in 2011, and a collaboration with artist Moses called “Selves,” in 2011. His second solo album, “Damn Near Grown,” is set for release in November.

Levin will perform a set of spoken word poetry and rap on Friday night at 8 p.m. in Herrick Chapel. Damon Williams ’14 will open for Levin. Come enjoy an evening of engaging wordplay.