Craving Canary

Of New York Times fame, Prairie Canary is a welcome addition to Grinnell’s dining scene. With its distinctly urban vibe—think exposed ceiling pipes and simplistic furniture— it is easy to forget that one is in Grinnell, Iowa. However, the restaurant places a huge emphasis on being local—much of the food is locally sourced and the restaurant features work by local artisans. There are three main seating areas: an outdoor patio, a large indoor dining area and, in the basement, a bar.

Photo by Connie Lee.
Photo by Connie Lee.

I went to Prairie Canary for lunch with a friend. The lunch menu is relatively small, consisting of one pasta special, several salads and sandwich options. The dinner menu is slightly larger, albeit more expensive. The small menu, however, allows Prairie Canary to focus on ensuring that the food they serve is of excellent quality.

All sandwiches are served with your choice of a side—hand-cut fries, soup or salad. Some of the more popular lunch options at Prairie Canary are the Canary Burger, Prairie Canary’s signature hamburger, and the Grilled Chicken Salad. Opting for a pescetarian meal, I ordered the Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burger with Lox Salmon Salad on the side. The salad was lightly dressed with balsamic vinegar and featured fresh greens, three strips of lox salmon, candied walnuts and dried fruit. The walnuts and dried fruit were not only delicious, but also added texture. The sandwich patty was lightly spiced and consisted of sweet potatoes, black beans and chickpeas. While it was somewhat dry, the sandwich was served with buttermilk ranch, which made it more flavorful and palatable. It came at a cost however—at the end of the meal the buttermilk ranch was, rather gracelessly, all over the table and my hands. Ultimately, however, it was a small price to pay for a delicious and filling meal.  Including tax and a 20 percent tip, my meal came to just under $12. While it is a bit pricey for those operating on a student budget, Prairie Canary is perfect for when one is feeling particularly indulgent (hint: Family Weekend).

Prairie Canary’s salmon salad special, atop a generous salad. Photo by Connie Lee.